PDA

View Full Version : choosing the right ro system

MrFang
04-21-2015, 08:07 AM
I need help choosing a ro system. My plans is strictly used for my breeding pairs... there soo many options and choice available. Do I need a ro/di unit or just the ro unit. Or should I look for a unit that come with storage tank. I'm planning on getting from ebay and trying to spend least amount of money as possible. I'm sorry if any sponsor here sell ro unit, that I'm buying off from ebay

Right now I'm trying to breed them in aged milwaukee tap water. I'm sorry if this topics come up before or not but it would be nice to have something like this on sticky so other newbie wouldn't have to look at every topic to find information.

John_Nicholson
04-21-2015, 08:33 AM
For most of the US the cheapest one that will provide enough water daily is fine. You can add all of the gadgets that you want but normally they are not needed.

-john

nc0gnet0
04-21-2015, 08:53 AM
They are all pretty much the same. The only real difference is what brand membrane you use.

DiscusOnly
04-21-2015, 12:14 PM
They are all pretty much the same. The only real difference is what brand membrane you use.

^^

and want to add that you may want to add a pressure gauge and inline TDS meter.

For water storage, I prefer to use my spare 60gal acrylic tank along with a Brute trash container.

MrFang
04-21-2015, 05:23 PM
So do you guys think I can get away just using this portable systems?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151258759848&alt=web

DC Discus
04-21-2015, 06:06 PM
You'll want to confirm this with your local water company, but I looked it up quickly and Milwaukee uses Chloramines and not chlorine to treat the water. So your DI (carbon) stage needs to be able to handle that. Most RO/DI are made to treat chlorine.

This video has a lot of good information in it;
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/index/view/id/395/

You'll want a storage tank for the make up water either 35-55 gallon should work. Most people get a Rubbermaid brute cans to store good water in. A 50gpd unit will take a long while to refill your tanks, unless you run it as flow-through. I run a 90gpd RO/DI Spectra-pure system that I got refurbished from their website and it produces around 35 gallons in a 12 hour peroid (due to low water pressure probably).

You'll also want to get a total dissolved solids (tds) meter to monitor your system;
http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-Thermometer-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B0002T6L5M

Also TDS meters are handy to bring up the hardness for rearing juveniles. I keep my breeders at 50-75 TDS and Juvies at 350-400 TDS, my tap comes out at 650-700 TDS.

You can run a RO only unit, but would need to treat with Prime or something similar. Plus the carbon block removes other potentially harmful chemicals to eggs.

I'd suggest looking into stores that sell RO/DI water, but with breeders you'll use way to much to be economical.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers,
DC

Len
04-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Just to clarify, DI has nothing to do with chloramine removal or carbon. Use a carbon block that is meant for chloramine removal.

DiscusOnly
04-21-2015, 10:49 PM
So do you guys think I can get away just using this portable systems?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151258759848&alt=web

Don't waste your time with junks. Only buy where you know what RO membrane and specs. You can put a flow restrictor and run water through roll of paper and call it X GPD.. You are probably going to get low water pressure from your faucet.

MrFang
04-22-2015, 03:56 AM
Don't waste your time with junks. Only buy where you know what RO membrane and specs. You can put a flow restrictor and run water through roll of paper and call it X GPD.. You are probably going to get low water pressure from your faucet.

Please advise which system do you recommend?

DiscusOnly
04-22-2015, 08:24 AM
What is your plans for feeding and holding the RO water? How many GPD are you looking for. A Filmtec membrane is usually about $25-$50 depending on the size. Plan to spending $150+ to have an RO system with a Brute trash bin.

Len
04-22-2015, 08:29 AM
As John had stated your best bet is to figure out how much water you'll need each day and get the cheapest unit that will produce that amount. Your location is what will help you determine what brand to buy based on what is available to you, but again as Rick said -- they are all pretty much the same.

MrFang
04-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Okay I guess I will bite the bullet and order a cheap 100gpd unit off from ebay. What is it necessary to get a 6 or 7 stages system or would a basic 5 stage does the job

Keith Perkins
04-22-2015, 09:38 PM
5 stage will be plenty. My advice is buy a little more capacity than you figure you need, because it always seems to end up happening you get a couple more tanks going than you figure. I got a 150 and have never looked back. The other thing that's nice is the speed at which the bigger unit will produce water for you.

MrFang
04-23-2015, 12:09 AM
Yeah I only ro for 2 of my 29gal for my breeding pair atm. I'm don't think I would need it for my grow out tank.

MrFang
04-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Ok... anyone know what is the difference between drinking water ro system and reef ro system?

nc0gnet0
04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Ok... anyone know what is the difference between drinking water ro system and reef ro system?

I am guessing the reef system has DI resin while the drinking water doesn't but maybe has a post carbon block.

DonMD
04-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Well, I know that bulkreefsupply includes a faucet adapter with many of their systems for drinking water, so apparently you can drink RO water from an aquarium setup.

MrFang
04-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Have anyone drink water from their ro unit?

DonMD
04-30-2015, 02:50 PM

Yes, I have.

Keith Perkins
04-30-2015, 09:44 PM

Sure, of course I've also drank out of garden hoses for about 50 years too so I'm not sure that proves much. :)