PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra Discus

navarro1950
04-21-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't like to ask about any other sites that may not be Simply Discus sponsors, but I found a discus on Mac's Discus that they call a King Cobra Discus that I see as very beautiful. What I'd like to know is if anyone here knows about this discus or if anyone know if this fish has another name? I have yet to learn how to use taptalk and Photobucket so I can't add pics yet or I would add one. If you are familiar with the discus you all can answer but if not you may have to look at the discus on the other site, YOU WON'T DISAPPOINTED . I want to buy these King Cobra Discus but I would like to order them from our sponsors first. Thank You for all your help. Navarro

blueluv
04-21-2015, 11:41 PM
I just looked at that king cobra discus and that's just name the breeder gave it. Looks like snakeskin red turq. Sponsors here on simplydiscus can provide with a discus like that.

Larry Bugg
04-21-2015, 11:44 PM
Yup, just a name to add some $$ to the price. It is a snakeskin. The one in the picture is indeed a very nice snakeskin.

navarro1950
04-22-2015, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys for answering so fast. I'll start calling in the morning. Another question how many discus should I start off with. I have 125 thats been running for at least 9 months all cycled. I have 20 cardinals, 10 runnynose, 8 otos, and 8 panda corys in the tank already keeping the nitrifying bacteria going plus a seeded sponge filter going in my refugium for my 20 gal quarantine tank. If the 20 is not enough I might be able to use 30 I have but I'll have to cook my own dinner until my wife calms down. I do 75% water changes every 2 weeks now but after my discus I'll change that to twice weekly.

Chicago Discus
04-22-2015, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys for answering so fast. I'll start calling in the morning. Another question how many discus should I start off with. I have 125 thats been running for at least 9 months all cycled. I have 20 cardinals, 10 runnynose, 8 otos, and 8 panda corys in the tank already keeping the nitrifying bacteria going plus a seeded sponge filter going in my refugium for my 20 gal quarantine tank. If the 20 is not enough I might be able to use 30 I have but I'll have to cook my own dinner until my wife calms down. I do 75% water changes every 2 weeks now but after my discus I'll change that to twice weekly.

I would start off with larger fish if you are going to do two 75% water changes weekly. anything 4" and above should be fine. You could easily get away with eight to ten with no problem....Josie

Chicago Discus
04-22-2015, 12:49 AM
If you look at the discus on the website the fish you are interested in is 2.5" which is very small for a 120 gallon established tank. They would need much more care at that size and age. try to stay with discus that are 4" and above :)...........Josie

navarro1950
04-22-2015, 01:22 AM
Okay Josie I can do that. I use a 75 gal tank to age my water but I also have another 75 plus a 110. The problem is I don't have room in my house to set up anything larger then the 30 gallon for a quarantine tank. If I could I'd use the 110 to grow the out before I put them in the tank in the living room.

DISCUS STU
04-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Very similar to a female breeder Snakeskin I bought a long time ago as a juvenile at a lfs by chance. She was beautiful, a great mother and produced beautiful offspring. RIP.

By the way you can insert an image directly by using the third button from the right, "Insert Image". 86589

navarro1950
04-23-2015, 12:15 AM
STU if I could fine that one I'd be satisfied. Very Beautiful fish.

Reesj
04-23-2015, 12:23 AM
I would start off with larger fish if you are going to do two 75% water changes weekly. anything 4" and above should be fine. You could easily get away with eight to ten with no problem....Josie

As I saw they sell the same fish in 4.5 inches also. Anyway Navarra check the sponsors sites for their current stock and see if you can find a fish that looks like them as well.

navarro1950
04-23-2015, 02:44 AM
Thanks Reesj will do.

Chicago Discus
04-23-2015, 02:57 AM
5.5" Super fine line snakeskin $105

https://chicagodiscus.com/product/4-5-super-fine-line-snakeskin/?doing_wp_cron=1429772084.0955839157104492187500

5.0" Blue Snakeskin $95

https://chicagodiscus.com/product/5-0-blue-snakeskin/?doing_wp_cron=1429772057.0466148853302001953125

Both very close to what you want www.chicagodiscus.com

And if you want to ask questions about the parents or different strains give us a call-312-622-0055

DISCUS STU
04-23-2015, 11:43 AM
STU if I could fine that one I'd be satisfied. Very Beautiful fish.

Thanks. I found here as a very young adolescent fish in a lfs that isn't known for nice domestics, only decent wilds. I picked her out of the chorus and had no idea that she would grow up to be such a ravishing beauty (lol). I almost always buy and raise smaller fish, except for wilds.

Kal-El
04-23-2015, 05:18 PM
@ $159.95 for a 4.5" is too pricey. The pic of that fish is not the fish you'll get if purchase from them. You're better off going with Chicago Discus or any of the sponsors here.

navarro1950
04-24-2015, 02:22 AM
I'm going through all of our sponsors to see if they have what I am kooking for. I'll buy from our sponsors, I'm asking if anyone knows another name our sponsors go by for the King Cobra. What did you think of that discus?

Ryan
04-24-2015, 07:59 AM
They are snakeskin discus. "King Cobra" is a fancy marketing name. You'll find that a lot of breeders have their own names for essentially the same fish. Usually on stocklists they'll have "snake" or "snakeskin" in the name. It's any fish with a very fine striated pattern on the gills, face, and body, as opposed to the thicker markings on turquoise/red turquoise discus. A lot of them also have 14 vertical bars as opposed to the normal 9 on other discus, but now they've been crossed with so many things that you get them with 9 bars, 14 bars, etc. They can look mostly red or mostly blue, so it depends on which you prefer.

RichardL
04-25-2015, 10:55 PM
I have yet to learn how to use taptalk and Photobucket so I can't add pics yet or I would add one.

You can attach pictures from your computer to the thread. Photobucket is not needed.

Ryan
04-26-2015, 06:12 PM
I can tell you that the photos on the site in question are stock photos, not the actual fish. I know this because I know a few of the breeders whose photos are being used, and Mac is not importing from said breeders. I would contact him and ask for actual pictures of the stock he's got currently.

I would recommend searching the Feedback section here for reviews of sellers, sponsors or non-sponsors.

navarro1950
04-27-2015, 02:43 AM
Thank you Ryan and RichardL I'll try to add a photo for you but understand I'm new at adding photos from other places. The picture they have on mac's discus sure reeled me in, I fell in love with that discus and have been watching the site for a long time. When I found Simply Discus I was blessed. I've had discus before a long time ago without success and I really don't want to mess them up any more.

navarro1950
04-27-2015, 02:52 AM
RichardL I think you mean this. http://www.macsdiscus.com/king-cobra-discus-fish-2-25-inch/

Mgus
05-08-2015, 07:28 PM
If you haven't gotten any discus yet the red snakeskin and tiger carnation snakes kin in Kenny's new shipment look very similar.

DISCUS STU
05-08-2015, 10:19 PM
RichardL I think you mean this. http://www.macsdiscus.com/king-cobra-discus-fish-2-25-inch/

This is a strange picture. The body looks fine while the head area looks black and darkened. Could it be the lighting or the exposure?

This is also a full grown fish, not an adolescent.

Rudustin
05-08-2015, 10:26 PM
It's the lighting and the exposure.

navarro1950
05-10-2015, 02:46 AM
Thanks y'all for all the help. If anyone even stumbles across another discus that looks like the king cobra if you remember I am looking for that fish please pm me and let me know where you saw it. Thanks again

CrazyAngels
05-10-2015, 03:16 AM
Carnation snakeskins when in breeding colors look like the king cobra you are looking at, I know it cause that is exactly what mine looked like. normally they look just like the ones Kenny posted in his last shipment coming in here is the link to them. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119726-100th-FORREST-CELEBRATORY-SHIPMENT-PREVIEW-MEGA-55-strains-MAY-2015-shipment&p=1156484&viewfull=1#post1156484

JohnniG
05-13-2015, 12:52 AM
Very similar to a female breeder Snakeskin I bought a long time ago as a juvenile at a lfs by chance. She was beautiful, a great mother and produced beautiful offspring. RIP.

By the way you can insert an image directly by using the third button from the right, "Insert Image". 86589

Beautiful fish! Wish I had one just like it.

DISCUS STU
05-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Beautiful fish! Wish I had one just like it.

As do I. She passed from natural causes. She was a really great breeder female with very strong instincts and drives.

SortSay2003
05-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Hello Navarro,

I believe the name King Cobra is now commonly known as Blue Scorpion. It is a cross between Snakeskin/Blue Diamond (all you experts can correct me if I'm wrong). One of the SD sponsor, Kenny, brings these in quite often. Check out Kenny's May listing. There are some larger Blue Scorpion on that list, see if it resembles what you're searching for.

Good luck:)

navarro1950
05-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Thank you SortSay2003 I will go through Kenny's new shopping list for all us SD members. What you say about the Snakeskin and Blue Diamond makes since and believe me I am No expert. I just look at what discus is pleasing to the brain and heart and I add it to my bucket list of wants.

Ryan
05-15-2015, 02:10 AM
Hello Navarro,

I believe the name King Cobra is now commonly known as Blue Scorpion. It is a cross between Snakeskin/Blue Diamond (all you experts can correct me if I'm wrong). One of the SD sponsor, Kenny, brings these in quite often. Check out Kenny's May listing. There are some larger Blue Scorpion on that list, see if it resembles what you're searching for.

Good luck:)

The fish in the original photo from Mac's is not a Blue Scorpion. It's got a brown base color and does not contain any Blue Diamond.

As has been said many times in the thread, it's just a fancy name for a typical snakeskin discus. There are snakes that are more red/brown based and snakes that are more blue based. The photo in question has had the contrast heavily adjusted, making the dark areas very dark and the striations very bright. Snakeskins and other striated discus have red eyes. This fish has black eyes. That tells me the photo's saturation/contrast has been heavily adjusted. I would bet money that the actual fish looked nothing like that in person. ;)

Discus keepers should not get too hung up on one photo of a fish. A lot goes into play. Lighting, background color, the kind of foods fed, the angle you catch them at, whether they're in spawning/defensive/aggressive mode or not, the post-processing that's done to the pictures, your monitor color settings, your screen type, etc. No single picture can capture what a discus really looks like in person because they are constantly moving, constantly changing their color based on mood and surroundings. You'd get a better idea by looking at videos of the actual fish if they're available, and if the videos haven't been heavily color-adjusted to make the fish look better on purpose (which is what a lot of photos do). Then remember the fact that out of a group of snakeskins, or red turquoise, or any other type of straited discus, each fish will have its own individual pattern and color. They all vary. So pointing at a single photo and saying, "I need THAT fish" is basically impossible.

I'm going to show you an example. I took an unedited photo of a Scarlet Snake from Ricky Lim directly off of a camera. Here it is:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/IMG_9301_zpszshovnw0.jpg

Then I took 30 seconds in Photoshop to adjust the contrast and the color balance of the photo to turn it into this:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/IMG_9301a_zpsdlkuozl6.jpg

Now it looks almost identical to the King Cobra picture (dark body color, deep blue markings, dark orange in the fins, dark face/eye):

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/kingcobra__69239.1405425129.1280.1280_zpsr2uxfbxq. jpg

Here is the same fish of Ricky's, also from an unedited file on my camera. This time it's in a tank with a darker background. You can see that it looks like a totally different fish:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/IMG_0571_zpsiys17rgk.jpg

All photo tricks, some just because of natural influences (tank lights, tank background color, flash vs. no flash) and some because of post processing in the pictures using software.