PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as too much filtration?

ESXiGuy
04-22-2015, 01:28 AM
For my first post, I want to just thank everyone for making SimplyDiscus such a passionate and informative community. There's a lot of love for these swimming dinner plates. It's awe inspiring to find posts going back over 10 years!

Being new to Discus I did have a question regarding filtration.

I have a 180 gallon planted aquarium and currently have two canister filters and a HOB filter that together are advertised for 600 gallons. (350 + 150 + 100). I was wanting to add in another canister filled with eheim mech and substrat pro. Is there such thing as too much filtration?

I am shooting for 30% weekly water changes but I am hoping that extra filtration will compensate for planted tanks being dirtier than bare bottom tanks and in a pinch work as buffer say in the event a water changed is missed?

From what I can tell, the filters are not generating current to where the fish appear to be bothered by it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Banzai883
04-22-2015, 06:51 AM
i would say no depending on the situation. If you have a big tank and a high fish load then its understandable. I would be more concerned about what kind of media you are using on your filters. There is however a thing as too much water movement for discus. They do not like very fast moving waters so watch out for that. I have seen so many filter set ups all of them high end and just sponge filters they all work just do the maintenance and be vigilant for changes.

Second Hand Pat
04-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Hi ESXiGuy and welcome to SimplyDiscus. People seem to think the more filtration the better. It is nice to have all the waste/dirt in one spot for easy removal but the stuff needs to be removed from the water column. Discus require fresh water and only removing 30% a week will not maintain the long term health of your discus.
Pat

DISCUS STU
04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
I'm a big advocate of over filtering, if such a thing is possible, and I use canister filters in circuit that are rated for lower loads and I also use UV's now due to the cost of more affordable bulbs. I don't use carbon or carbon types, Hole-In-The-Head and lateral line disease greatly reduced when I stopped using carbons, but not everyone will agree.

That having been said, there's no substitute for water changes and I replace about 35% every other day which is low by the standards of many people on this forum. But it works for me and it's what I can do under the circumstances.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-22-2015, 12:33 PM
I over-filter all my large tanks. Got the filters, use them!

navarro1950
04-24-2015, 02:12 AM
I use a Fluval FX6 with just sponge filters in it. And I'm also use a Eshopps R-200 Refugium with a sicce syncra 3.5 633 gph pump on the retrun with a coral life tubro twist 18w Uv light. I can add more if needed. What do you think ?

Mgus
04-24-2015, 07:27 AM
I use a Fluval FX6 with just sponge filters in it. And I'm also use a Eshopps R-200 Refugium with a sicce syncra 3.5 633 gph pump on the retrun with a coral life tubro twist 18w Uv light. I can add more if needed. What do you think ?

That sounds like a nice set up. What size tank? Sounds like a lot of water flow. Any problems with to much current? I've got two 406s wish I went with the fx6 instead. How often are you doing water changes?

Northwoods Discus
04-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Remember filtration only changes ammonia to nitrites and nitrates. Filtration does not remove nitrates, or other organics and mineral buildup. Only water changing removes the end product of filtration. Plants remove some of the end products but not all.

DISCUS STU
04-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Remember filtration only changes ammonia to nitrites and nitrates. Filtration does not remove nitrates, or other organics and mineral buildup. Only water changing removes the end product of filtration. Plants remove some of the end products but not all.
+1! To the point and concise though Purigen claims to remove nitrate but then again you have to buy it and replenish when it's exhausted. I use it, but there's still no way to get around water changes.

brewmaster15
04-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Eshopps R-200 Refugium If the OP is using this to grow algae then that would also deal with some of the nitrates....Algae scrubbers are intriguing filtration. I wouldn't rely on them instead of water changes.

al