PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Hex?

ImperatorVires
04-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Hello All, I am worried that one of my new Discus might have Hex.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I added both discus two weeks ago. Both were eating, and swimming around, and now the sub-dominante is hiding in the corners. They are both eating, but still extremely shy. I don't know if they are still getting used to the tank, or have hex. I hope you guys can help!

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating much, white poop, darkened colors, showing stress bars

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

n/a

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon, 2 discus around 3 inch. 2 cory cats, and 4 danios.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

60 % three times a week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Been running for 3 months, substrate, sand, 1-2 inchs

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Age Water, Ph swing is from 7.8-8.2. Usually age for 6-12 hours

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___84

- ph _____ 8.2

- ammonia reading ____0-0.25 (using Prime) I need to test free ammonia

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5 ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____Yes (city water, from wells)

- municipal water ___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them

I will add pictures soon!

ImperatorVires
04-22-2015, 04:56 PM
86592 86593

ImperatorVires
04-22-2015, 04:56 PM
I just did a water change an hour so to before, so I have to wait til they eat and poop again to get a picture of that! Thanks guys!

rickztahone
04-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Well white feces is never a good sign. I typically always recommend a metro treatment when this happens because metro isn't very harsh on the discus. From the pictures though, it doesn't seem like the discus have any pits in the head area or the lateral line which is the typical place where these show up.

brewmaster15
04-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Can you post more about how that tank is set up? maybe a full tank shot.

when you bought the discus did you quarantine them? what are you feeding them?

Danios are generally a bad choice for small discus... too active.

al

ImperatorVires
04-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Hello All, I am on my phone at work, so I will post a picture of the tank tonight. Both of my discus have made a complete turn around. After removing everything except the danios (4) and corys (2), they have been so much happier. They come out to greet me, and I see them swimming all over the tank. They have been eating great, and attacking the food. I feed them a mix of flake, omega one brine shrimp, and Discus Delight. (Purce's homemade beefheart recipe. This is what they have been feeding all their Discus, and mine love it!) No more white poop; All black and normal. I really believe that it was the other fish that was spooking them. Just too much going on. I am keeping a close eye on them for signs of stress, or white poop in the tank. If they start hiding again I will take out the danios. I'm currently saving and looking at ordering 3 more discus from Kenny's Discus.

ImperatorVires
05-05-2015, 09:04 AM
So after a couple of days, the signs of hex came back, and my turq really didn't look good. I posted another thread when it happened, but no one responded soo... I read a lot of threads and did what I thought was best. His gills looked swollen so I gave him a salt dip, and then started a treatment of metro. I don't have a hospital tank, so my whole 55 gallon is being treated. I did my first treatment sunday/monday. I'm going to be doing a big WC today after work, and doing another treatment tomorrow. I treated the tank 3 times, with 8 hours in between.

As of this morning, he looks a lot better. He is up and swimming, the gills look normal, no more white poop. I haven't seen him eating yet, but he is defiantly more active, whereas before he was laying on his side.

rickztahone
05-05-2015, 06:39 PM
So after a couple of days, the signs of hex came back, and my turq really didn't look good. I posted another thread when it happened, but no one responded soo... I read a lot of threads and did what I thought was best. His gills looked swollen so I gave him a salt dip, and then started a treatment of metro. I don't have a hospital tank, so my whole 55 gallon is being treated. I did my first treatment sunday/monday. I'm going to be doing a big WC today after work, and doing another treatment tomorrow. I treated the tank 3 times, with 8 hours in between.

As of this morning, he looks a lot better. He is up and swimming, the gills look normal, no more white poop. I haven't seen him eating yet, but he is defiantly more active, whereas before he was laying on his side.

I'm sorry I missed your other post. If you have started this treatment I would suggest going the full 10 days of metro treatment even if they look better.

ImperatorVires
05-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry I missed your other post. If you have started this treatment I would suggest going the full 10 days of metro treatment even if they look better.

Hey, Thanks for getting back to me. I started treatment on Sunday night/Monday. I put 5 measures into my 55 gallon tank every 8 hours (2-3 times total). I let them rest on Tuesday with a WC, and started again this morning. I do plan on continuing treatment for at least the 10 days. Because he his showing signs of improvement, do you think after today's treatment I should go down to one treatment of 5 measures every other day instead of 2 or 3?

rickztahone
05-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Hey, Thanks for getting back to me. I started treatment on Sunday night/Monday. I put 5 measures into my 55 gallon tank every 8 hours (2-3 times total). I let them rest on Tuesday with a WC, and started again this morning. I do plan on continuing treatment for at least the 10 days. Because he his showing signs of improvement, do you think after today's treatment I should go down to one treatment of 5 measures every other day instead of 2 or 3?

I would advise to do the proper dosage each time and you can treat only twice a day with a wc in between dosages. This is how I have done it in the past. I have also done lights out with metro.