PDA

View Full Version : Discus bully

Taitea
04-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Hello, I currently own 6 discus in a 75 gallon tank planning to get 2 more, my ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is always >5, and I do 50-75% water changes daily. The discus range from 2.5"-4 inches. All of them get along, except my tiniest discus in the tank, a Marlboro Red who constantly chases my next smallest blue diamond and snakeskin, he never lets them get near food when it's feeding time. And my question is, would this resolve itself if I return him and get another one?

rickztahone
04-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Hello, I currently own 6 discus in a 75 gallon tank planning to get 2 more, my ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is always >5, and I do 50-75% water changes daily. The discus range from 2.5"-4 inches. All of them get along, except my tiniest discus in the tank, a Marlboro Red who constantly chases my next smallest blue diamond and snakeskin, he never lets them get near food when it's feeding time. And my question is, would this resolve itself if I return him and get another one?

tough to tell. There is typically always one that bullies the rest of them. What you can do is simply to feed your discus in different areas of the tank. If you feed worms, use 2 worm feeders. He can't be at 2 places at once. Additionally, sometimes moving around some of the decor helps, but more than likely it will just be another discus who starts doing this as well. If you get 2 more, chances are that it actually will calm some of the agression, but then you have to keep an eye on parameters since you are pushing the stocking levels. I do not tell you not to do it because with your WC schedule, you can pull this off.

Taitea
04-23-2015, 12:07 AM
tough to tell. There is typically always one that bullies the rest of them. What you can do is simply to feed your discus in different areas of the tank. If you feed worms, use 2 worm feeders. He can't be at 2 places at once. Additionally, sometimes moving around some of the decor helps, but more than likely it will just be another discus who starts doing this as well. If you get 2 more, chances are that it actually will calm some of the agression, but then you have to keep an eye on parameters since you are pushing the stocking levels. I do not tell you not to do it because with your WC schedule, you can pull this off.

Hopefully it does, and if I am pushing stock levels, I can just do more water changes, I have no problem with it as long as my discus stay healthy and grow larger.

Reesj
04-23-2015, 12:33 AM
What resolved most of my aggression in the tank is adding more fish! As stendker site say, try to aim towards 8-10 fish specially if they are juvis.