PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use Meds. In Your Basic Quarantine?

DISCUS STU
04-23-2015, 11:55 AM
In my quarantine tanks I use Metronidazole (temp at 88-90 f.) and PraiPro (Praziquantel) as a basic quarantine regimen. Both at the same time: Metro (3 doses at .50 gram per 10 gal. for 3 treatments every other day) and PraziPro (10 days total). I'll also feed Metro turkey heart and metro flake during this time.

Also Fenbendazole flake, I can't affordably find this stuff otherwise, about a week after after the last of the other two are done.

I think this would cover most of what may come in with the Discus.

What do other people for their quarantine? I'm aware that not everyone treats proactively in this way. The tanks are bb with Hagen (hob) filters and frequent water changes.

John_Nicholson
04-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Clean water and good food is all I do.

-john

Larry Bugg
04-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Clean water and good food is all I do.

-john

Same here. I don't treat with meds unless there is a clear need to.

gimaal
04-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Same here. No meds unless an issue presents itself.

XAnhLe
04-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Meds are expensive, so no reason to treat unless you see some signs of parasite that linger on with frequent water change.

dragon1974
04-23-2015, 02:15 PM
+1 on John.

DISCUS STU
04-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Good to know. Unfortunately I do buy from some of the better lfs's around here and it's hard to know exactly what may be going on with their tanks in regard to protozoans, flukes, and other parasites.

Even buying online I can't be sure. Any wild fish I get in I definitely quarantine in this way. I go with the assumption that wilds will have something and I can't afford to have problems transferred to my other fish.

brewmaster15
04-23-2015, 02:58 PM
If a fish can carry flukes and worms without symptoms for months and most peoples idea of Quarantine is weeks ...if that. I'd say theres a pretty good chance of introducing worms or flukes into previously clean tanks sooner or latter If you dont treat for these When you get new stock.

an ounce of prevention in my book goes a long way.

Al

Ryan
04-23-2015, 04:01 PM
I always run wild-caught fish through a series of meds. Usually they get levamisole (roundworms/nematodes), prazi (flatworms/tapeworm), and metro if they come in really skinny. I have used Quick Cure in the past for externals. But it's rare that I treat tank-bred fish unless I see some specific issue. Having said that, most of my tank-bred fish come from fry swaps with other hobbyists. I'd be more wary about fish that were farm raised or purchased from an LFS because you never know what they've all been exposed to.

DISCUS STU
04-24-2015, 09:41 AM
I always run wild-caught fish through a series of meds. Usually they get levamisole (roundworms/nematodes), prazi (flatworms/tapeworm), and metro if they come in really skinny. I have used Quick Cure in the past for externals. But it's rare that I treat tank-bred fish unless I see some specific issue. Having said that, most of my tank-bred fish come from fry swaps with other hobbyists. I'd be more wary about fish that were farm raised or purchased from an LFS because you never know what they've all been exposed to.

Good info. Do you have a good source for levamisole and what is your med. quarantine procedure?

Rod
04-24-2015, 03:49 PM
If a fish can carry flukes and worms without symptoms for months and most peoples idea of Quarantine is weeks ...if that. I'd say theres a pretty good chance of introducing worms or flukes into previously clean tanks sooner or latter If you dont treat for these When you get new stock.

an ounce of prevention in my book goes a long way.

Al

I agree with Al.

I assume all discus i buy are carrying something, so i perform a course of each of the following. Prazi for tapeworms, levamisole for other worms, pp and triclorofon for ectoparasites. I don't bother to treat prophylactically for bacterial or internal flagellated protozoans, only if symptoms indicate it is required.

Rod

DISCUS STU
04-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Do you have a good source for Levamisole or Fenbendazole?

Ryan
04-24-2015, 10:19 PM
AngelsPlus now carries levamisole. Jehmco has fenbendazole and nearly everything else you could need.

rickztahone
04-24-2015, 10:27 PM
10grams $20 (http://subquaria.com/Levamisole-HCl-Powder) for the Levamisole on subquaria.com

Kyla
04-27-2015, 03:10 PM
any issues or losses from treating with metro and prazi at the same time? have u done this numerous times without incidence? and with water changes and reapplication during treatment?