PDA

View Full Version : Help with new set up!

nyfan78
04-23-2015, 02:48 PM
I have kept tropical, brackish, salt, african fish all before and want something new. So dicus are it. I have always love them. I have a 65 gallon bow front tank. Will that tank be big enough? Also i have never kept live plants, and want to in this tank. Would any of you not suggest this?

alron2
04-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Ny Fan, I suggest you read the following and it will save you from asking about 1000 questions and help you make sure discus are for you.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

If you decide they are, then you are in the right forum, welcome!

Ron

sdrexler078
04-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Since you have never had discus I would personally start with a bare bottom tank and then once you've got it down then add some plants. Planted tanks are harder to keep clean. I started with a planted tank and quickly moved over to barebottom. If you do decide to go with plants you may want to go with adults. Juviniles need a lot of clean water to grow

nyfan78
04-23-2015, 04:50 PM
how about i do pool filter sand with fake plants and i always over filter.

dagray
04-23-2015, 05:40 PM
nyfan,
growing discus requires water changes, and you won't want the sand as it will just make doing your water changes harder as you may be frustrated with how much sand you suck into your waste water.

go bare bottom, maybe with some fake plants and fake wood, later get a potted real plant, then graduate to a planted tank.

Take it slow and easy, you will appreciate your progress, and have healthy fish that way.

nyfan78
04-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Why does everyone prefer bare bottom tanks? i would like to do pool filter sand with fake plants and real driftwood from a pet store. i have no issues doing water changes weekly as I have had tanks before that needed constant attention like a salt tank. So as long as i keep the water changes weekly and make sure the water is good i should be fine right?

dagray
04-24-2015, 02:56 PM
I don't have a problem with sand or substrate as I started with a planted tank. However, a bare bottom tank is easier to maintain, and I wish I had gone that route first and then graduated to a planted tank.

It is easier to mitigate parasites and disease in a bare bottom tank, it is easier to do water changes, and there are many advantages to a bare bottom tank.

Don't get me wrong I love planted tanks and biotopes, but where I had a few years fish keeping experience before I started with discus I really didn't know enough to do a planted tank with discus.

I know you are saying you want fake plants, and sand for the look. I would put the fake plants in without the sand to start. A few months down the road when you make a large water change put the discus in buckets and add the sand, a few more months if you decide to go planted go planted.

Just take it slow and easy and you will get more enjoyment I believe out of the hobby.

Kyla
04-27-2015, 08:51 PM
i just read another thread called "beginner needing some expert advice" and it was fascinating to see the poster's opinion change from exactly how u feel, to considering bare bottom a better choice... their progression takes from january to april... and they even make a shout out to others reading their thread to heed the advice they were given. maybe take a stroll through that thread to help u decide?

Mrs. J
04-27-2015, 09:30 PM
I was one of those who wanted a substrate so used pool filter sand in my first tank....also added artificial plants, and driftwood. Within a few weeks I realized that I should have listened to those with more wisdom and experience. I have kept Discus in the past over thirty years ago and did well, even though we had substrate, live plants, etc. However we also raised Malawi chiclids and general aquarium fish...we were very lucky, they did well. Now older and wiser I have gone to bare bottom in the new tank and a few artificial plants that can be moved and cleaned. LISTEN to those who have experience. Clean water is critical and daily water changes at least with young Discus is essential....move slowly and practice patience (hard to do) for the benefit of your fish. Healthier for your fish and your wallet....Julia