PDA

View Full Version : Strains and lighting

oliverk
04-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Ok the fundamental question is do different strains respond/look what ever different to different types, intensity and direction of lighting?

If so how would you "predict" when thinking about new lighting or adding new fish.

My example, I had two realtively weak blue red led light bars at the beginning having read that discus prefer lower lights. Wasn't working so well and bought some higher intensity led lights with night blue mode and placed them toward the back of the tank, most of the plants are there so..... Much improvement, but after a few months and many failed pictures etc. decided that the picture issue was perhaps backlighting on especially the turqs, snakeskins and the fish with the high intensity blue and other colors that almost "flourese".

I decided to switch, and all my blue red fish lit up significantly, the intense flouresecent blues ripple much more often and these fish are very showy.

However, I have noted that my red pigeon bloods have more areas that they seem to fade and become more monochrome. They never had that intense reflective mirrorish flouresecent rippling that the blue reds always had that has intensified with the lighting more front (like that - spectacular!) bit the pigeons with their patterns and accent colors were the kings of the tank and very very showy/nice but never the reflective colors that some of the blues in the turqs have. The pigeons are still very nice, but sometimes are a little less "contrasty"

First am I "seeing things" second is there a way to keep the red blues showing intense color while also keeping the Red Pigeons at their very best? Third if I were adding new strains how would I predict?