PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do at this point...

emu1sive
04-24-2015, 09:39 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
About 1 week ago one of my stunted discus (2 of my 6 are not growing at the same pace as their siblings) turned dark and began hiding behind the HOB, staring at the back of the tank, and is generally unresponsive.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Please see photo86663

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I've done a full round of metro a couple months ago for an internal parasite and everyone has been fine since. No other treatments have been done since.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
55gal bare bottom
6 discus - 2 3 in 4 4 in
6 black neon tetras
1 rainbowfish
3 angelicus botia

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
50% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Tank has been running 4 months

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
No, it comes from the tap adjusted to match the tank temp and I use neutral regulator with every w/c

8. Parameters and water source;

- temp 30 celc

- ph 7.4

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading .5

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nothing has been added in 2 months

Everyone else is doing great, perky, beautiful, eating, even the one other discus that seems to be staying small. It's just this guy and I am not sure if I should get rid of him now, wait to see if he passes, or run more treatments. I don't have a QT at this time. It got turned into a nano reef >.>

emu1sive
04-24-2015, 09:43 PM
For comparison this is his sibling. They were purchased at the same time, same strain, same everything except this guy's doing really well. Both photos were just taken today.

rickztahone
04-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Do you have a QT tank on hand?

emu1sive
04-24-2015, 10:31 PM
The QT I had was turned into a nano reef so I would stop buying fish and prevent overstocking my discus tank >.>

emu1sive
04-24-2015, 10:32 PM
I do have a 5 gallon bucket, an airpump and stone, and an extra heater as far as equip laying around goes.

rickztahone
04-24-2015, 10:36 PM
I do have a 5 gallon bucket, an airpump and stone, and an extra heater as far as equip laying around goes.

That wouldn't work. Stop by a LFS and buy a 10g tank if you have nothing else. A QT tank should always be kept on hand for situations like this.

emu1sive
04-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Gotcha. What else in the 10 gal and more importantly since it is not a cycled tank how is that going to work out without an ammonia spike

rickztahone
04-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Gotcha. What else in the 10 gal and more importantly since it is not a cycled tank how is that going to work out without an ammonia spike

So long as you do daily water changes you should be fine although parameters can go south really quick on small tanks like that.