PDA

View Full Version : Deal or No?

ImperatorVires
04-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, I was just looking around on craiglist and saw an ad for a garage sale and said "lots of fish stuff". I decided to go check it out, and they are selling a 75 Gallon Marineland tank and stand! He had saltwater fish in the tank before he moved here, and they didn't survive the move. It has everything needed, filter, heater, food, rock, etc and was asking $300. But seeing how I have enough heaters and filters, I offered him $75 for the tank, stand and light. He thought that sounded fair, but wanted to see if he could sell it all together. (I went at 10 am, and the sale runs until 4). We have each others numbers, so tonight he's going to give me a call.

It holds water, and is in pretty decent shape. I plan on sanding, restaining, the wood, and maybe even resealing the tank for extra caution. Do you think $75 for a 75 gallon tank/stand/light is a good deal?

I would make this into a discus only tank with corys, Barebottom, and driftwood?. Let me know what you think! Sorry, I forgot to get pictures!

Branden

Second Hand Pat
04-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a great deal if it holds water. :)
Pat

ImperatorVires
04-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks Pat! Now I just have to hope they don't sell it today, so I can take it off their hands for cheap!

Phillydubs
04-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

ImperatorVires
04-25-2015, 05:22 PM
My thought process is this... I currently have a 55, two 10 gallons, and a 2.5 with a beta. My parents said they would by me 3 discus and give me some money for my wedding account (that will keep my fiancée from killing me) If I'm able to get the 75, to use it as a quarintee for the new discus, and once that is done, I can move my other two over. Then take my 55 and put everything from the others in it, guppies, Molly's, tropical stuff. Get a bigger discus tank and take down 3 other tanks. Lol

ImperatorVires
04-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Oh, and it's for my birthday present! I re read it, and thought I sounded like a snob lol

DonMD
04-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Hey, sounds like a plan. Also, I've read that salt water pathogens do not infect fresh water fish. If that's true, then you'd have nothing to worry about in terms of left-over bugs . . .

MrFang
04-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Buy it if the tank weak any way or bad seal 75gal-e is only $95.

ImperatorVires
04-25-2015, 10:54 PM
What?? Buy it with a bad seal, or don't buy with a bad seal? Either way, it holds water, and it seems like a steal. I will be able to re seal it myself.

rickztahone
04-26-2015, 01:46 PM
What?? Buy it with a bad seal, or don't buy with a bad seal? Either way, it holds water, and it seems like a steal. I will be able to re seal it myself.

Have you resealed a tank by yourself before? Are you saying the tank does have a leak point? Or are you just saying that you would be willing to fix it if indeed it has a leak?

ImperatorVires
04-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I'm saying if it had a leak point I would be willing to fix it. But as of right now the owner said he'd rather sell it as a set, and would let me know I'm a week or so if it was still available. :/

rickztahone
04-26-2015, 02:33 PM
That would be a good deal for a 75g. I got my used acrylic one for $150 with stand for comparison. $300 isn't a bad deal to start with in all honesty. I'm sure you can offer him $200-$250 and he would consider it. Then you can sell off the extra parts.

ImperatorVires
04-26-2015, 08:59 PM
I agree that's not a bad price. I really don't have $200 to spend honestly though. That's the only problem

ImperatorVires
05-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Hey guys, quick question. I am still working out the details with the tank. I have a couple of options that I would like to run by you guys. 1) Buy a brand new 75 gallon for $100, and build my own stand (around $50?) buy two new heaters, and one sponge filter, so I would most likely be looking around 225-275 before decorations. 2) Buy the whole tank, stand from the guy off Craigslist. He wants $225 for everything, but I'm pretty sure that if I put $200 cash down, he won't say no. It has filters, heaters, saltwater live rock, etc. A lot of stuff. I could trade in all the stuff I don't need at my LFS, and use that to get a sponge filter and driftwood. I could even trade in the used 75, and get a new one if I wanted to, and only keep the stand, heater, and light. 3) Not buy a new tank right away, and buy 3 more discus from Kenny to go with my two in my 55 gallon tank. Save up more, and then buy a 75 later. My only problem would be that I don't have a place for quarantine besides my Brute trash can. I guess I have too many options, and just don't know.

Second Hand Pat
05-08-2015, 09:50 AM
I would go ahead and pick one of the options on getting the 75 and go from there. QTing in a brute trash can is not a good option IMO.
Pat

aalbina
05-08-2015, 09:58 AM
I agree with Pat - it's important to be able to observe the fish very closely while they are in QT - a brute trash can is less than ideal for this purpose.

Adam

Hey guys, quick question. I am still working out the details with the tank. I have a couple of options that I would like to run by you guys. 1) Buy a brand new 75 gallon for $100, and build my own stand (around $50?) buy two new heaters, and one sponge filter, so I would most likely be looking around 225-275 before decorations. 2) Buy the whole tank, stand from the guy off Craigslist. He wants $225 for everything, but I'm pretty sure that if I put $200 cash down, he won't say no. It has filters, heaters, saltwater live rock, etc. A lot of stuff. I could trade in all the stuff I don't need at my LFS, and use that to get a sponge filter and driftwood. I could even trade in the used 75, and get a new one if I wanted to, and only keep the stand, heater, and light. 3) Not buy a new tank right away, and buy 3 more discus from Kenny to go with my two in my 55 gallon tank. Save up more, and then buy a 75 later. My only problem would be that I don't have a place for quarantine besides my Brute trash can. I guess I have too many options, and just don't know.

ImperatorVires
05-08-2015, 11:03 AM
I would go ahead and pick one of the options on getting the 75 and go from there. QTing in a brute trash can is not a good option IMO.
Pat

Thanks Pat, That's really were I am leaning towards, I just wanted to see what someone more experienced than I thought. Thank You! Branden

ImperatorVires
05-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Sorry, Adam! I didn't see your post! Thank you also!

pitdogg2
05-08-2015, 01:28 PM

no need Marineland tanks have a lifetime warranty they will replace for free. been there done that.

ImperatorVires
05-08-2015, 02:27 PM
no need Marineland tanks have a lifetime warranty they will replace for free. been there done that.

Really?!? So if it leaks, even as a second owner, I can call them up and get a new tank? I like the sound of that!

pitdogg2
05-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Really?!? So if it leaks, even as a second owner, I can call them up and get a new tank? I like the sound of that!

it worked for me that way. No need to let them know you're second owner just that YOU'RE the owner:)

ImperatorVires
05-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Fair enough! I just put my order in with Kenny, so I guess I will be going and getting this tank tonight one way or another lol I will be making another thread to ask questions about the exact setup I would like to use, with input from you guys! Thanks for the help guys!

Branden

ImperatorVires
05-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Just a quick update! I purchased the set off of craigslist for $200. I'm going to sell the pieces I don't need. I currently have the tank filled with water to test the seams, and then it will get a good cleaning after. I made my preorder with Kenny, so after refinishing the stand and tank, I will be ready to get it set up! I already have cycled filters ready to go. Thanks for the advice guys.