PDA

View Full Version : heckels

Mgus
04-25-2015, 05:42 PM
i stopped by an lfs i worked for years ago when i was in high school and they had some nice heckels there. i am planning on adding three more fish to my tank this summer. i have all domestics now and was planning on getting more but these fish have inspired me to try my luck at a few wilds. they were rio negro heckels and had great shape and paterns. i like the bright colors of the domestics but there is something about the wild heckels. i was talking to the owner and he gets wilds on a regular basis usuall heckels or blues. im gonna set up my 37 soon for qt and hopefully be picking some of these up in the near future. maybe 3-4.

discgo
04-25-2015, 09:37 PM
I agree, they are handsome. The mixing that I have done in the past is Blue Faced Heckels with Blue Diamonds. I have found that over the years, for my eye, either single strain or some aesthetic blend helps me enjoy my tanks more. Good Luck, Rod.

khooyang
04-26-2015, 03:04 AM
I am not sure why... the domestic is beautiful, but when you look at wild, and after watching a few videos about Amazon and Brazil, you will fall in love for wilds.

I think wild the best way resemble the nature and how discus fish supposed to look like? Also, I notice that wild fish usually are less territorial and they swim peacefully in your tank in group without fighting too much. My domestic used to fight and bully a lot.

Mgus
04-26-2015, 07:51 AM
will i have a problem if i mix wilds with my domestics. ive been reading a few threads on wilds the past day seems most people use ro or ro mix for their wilds. my ph is 7.4 out of the tap not sure of my tds. trying to find as much info on the wilds as i can to see if i should take the plunge into wilds or not. ideally id like to have a seperate tank for them but the only place i can set up my other tank which ill be using for qt is in my storage room and i wont be able to enjoy them much there. any thoughts suggestions and experiences with wilds and their waater parameters would be very appreciated.

Mgus
04-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Has anyone here had success with wilds in higher ph. If not I was thinking of experimenting with peat to bring my ph down. Where is a good source for peat. I've seen fluval makes it but have never seen it in stores.

Mgus
04-29-2015, 09:09 PM
I am not sure why... the domestic is beautiful, but when you look at wild, and after watching a few videos about Amazon and Brazil, you will fall in love for wilds.

I think wild the best way resemble the nature and how discus fish supposed to look like? Also, I notice that wild fish usually are less territorial and they swim peacefully in your tank in group without fighting too much. My domestic used to fight and bullying a lot.

I have 9 domestics now and they are always bullying each other I thought they would be much mellower. I have two small stunted fish and they are the meanest ones. I'm going to remove them when I get the new fish.