PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ghost Angels

dagray
04-25-2015, 10:07 PM
First before I post the photo taken tonight let me say "Don't be afraid of high ISO".

This photo was taken with only ambient evening light coming through a 4 x 6 foot window that is east facing; I intentionally left the tank light off to capture the color in the fins.

ISO 12,800 (yes that is not a typo)
Lens Sigma 50-500mm at 100mm
Camera Pentax K3
Shutter Speed 1/125
aperture f: 5.6
no flash
center weighted spot metering

Here is the photo:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/lizardman_u/aquarium/Angel%20Fish_zps3irwuaav.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/lizardman_u/media/aquarium/Angel%20Fish_zps3irwuaav.jpg.html)

I did sharpen, run it through Topaz photo editing tools (HDR treatment, de-JPEG, and de-noise)

Shot in RAW

Yes this still has noise, but as a documentary piece this is quite acceptable, as a piece of wall art it would depend on the buyer's taste, as a photo to go in a book on aquarium keeping this is functional.

As always constructive critique is welcomed as are any comments positive or negative (no personal attacks). If you like or dislike the piece please say why.

rickztahone
04-26-2015, 02:56 PM
I agree with you, it is useable. Would I ever shoot at that ISO? Probably not because the ISO management on my body isn't the greatest. If I had a 6D then I wouldn't mind going to that ISO and higher without a second thought :)

dagray
04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
I agree with you, it is useable. Would I ever shoot at that ISO? Probably not because the ISO management on my body isn't the greatest. If I had a 6D then I wouldn't mind going to that ISO and higher without a second thought :)

Exactly, I try to keep my ISO under 3000 as I tend to need shutter speed and have a moderate fast lens (1:6.7 at 500mm on the 50-500mm Sigma), but most of what I shoot is ISO 800 or less. Portraits are ISO 80-100 (lowest the K3 will go is 100, and K5 will go down to 80).

But it is nice knowing that one can get useable photos at high ISO. reminiscent of pushing film for newspaper photos of old.