PDA

View Full Version : breeding stunts growth?

Kyla
04-28-2015, 12:29 AM
i have read that breeding can stunt the growth of discus that arent finished growing. is this correct?

is it the energy used in production and laying of the eggs/fertilizing that stunts them, or the raising of the young?

i have heard suggestions to separate young breeders... but if the egg production causes stunting, how would one even prevent a female from producing eggs? couldnt separation of the fish lead to egg binding? i know other female species of breeding age can develop eggs without a male present so im guessing the same is true for discus?

in a group setting, if growing discus decided to pair off and lay should we be discouraging this? if so, what suggestions do u have (besides removal)?

so many questions.. thanks for any advice!!

Second Hand Pat
04-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Hi Kyla, it is the rearing of fry that slows the growth of young fish. Another possible issue is sometimes a female who is laying eggs will stop eating or slow her eating. Some of the large breeders will separate by gender to keep the focus on growing.
Pat

John_Nicholson
04-28-2015, 08:16 AM
I have never worried about it at all. I do think it slows down the females growth but over the long haul if she is healthy and properly cared for I do not think it really matters much.

-john

nc0gnet0
04-28-2015, 08:48 AM
I agree with John that it is primarily a female issue, and as Pat says, really only a factor if they raise the fry.

Kyla
04-28-2015, 11:11 PM
perfect, thank you!