PDA

View Full Version : White gloopy poop

Tankster
04-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Well, here I am. I had a good run, but need some expert advice.

Background - If they are sick, there are two possible reasons why or a combination of both, which is most likely. I recently (last month) had a kidney stone and ended up having surgery. My husbandry took a major hit for a couple of weeks while I recovered. No water changes for almost 2 weeks. When I finally did, I think I screwed up bad. In my state of diminished mental capacity, I did a water change on my wild falsely spotted corydora. A day later I did the discus tank with different hoses... but here is where I think I screwed up. It was the same pump that was used on the corydora. The Corydora have been in quarantine for almost 3 months. I was having some losses in the beginning but I believe that was due to the collection and transport. I have not lost one in quite some time.
End of back-story...

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

lethargic, not eating ,while gloopy poo. I noticed the problem about a week ago when I lost a 6" red scribblet.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

all appear normal other than the poo and ignoring al's FDBW (definite sign something is wrong)

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

no treatment

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 gallon BB 7 discus 4 inches to 6 inches fish are approximately 9 to 10 months old (purchased at 2.5" and assuming +2-3 months before my purchase)

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

100% daily (occasional 50% if I am low on water in my ageing tank)

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

8 months running bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

aged 24 hours pH swing of 1 point

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _82____

- ph __8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __.04__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water __community well__

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

described above - still in QT - however potential cross contamination has occurred

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

left pic is my runt - this fish is just over 3" and has separated himself from the group. Picture on the right you see the gloopy poo dropping down. The while stringy things are uneaten FDBW. The next picture (below and left side) shows some are still producing normal poo. The rest of the debris you see on the bottom is uneaten FDBW.

Full tank shot
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t603/gregroper/IMG_2717_zpsjemmklzg.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/gregroper/media/IMG_2717_zpsjemmklzg.jpg.html)

close up of healthy looking fish
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t603/gregroper/IMG_2718_zpscpxv8whg.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/gregroper/media/IMG_2718_zpscpxv8whg.jpg.html)

Thanks for taking a look.

Tankster
04-28-2015, 10:26 PM
I am wondering if more info is needed to help address my situation?

Thanks,
Greg

nc0gnet0
04-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Is the runt the only one with the white feces?

Tankster
04-29-2015, 02:01 AM
Rick, thanks for the response. I am not sure as I have not seen any of them poo. I've only seen after its floating in the tank. Would you suggest a cull on the runt?

nc0gnet0
04-29-2015, 06:43 AM
I don't think a cull is in order yet, perhaps an isolation (qt tank) see if he can recover and then place him with fish his own size or smaller. This looks like a pecking order issue, most likely exacerbated by the lapse in wc's.