View Full Version : Grow out

Taitea
05-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Recently tragedy struck and I lost all of my discus stock. I experienced first hand why you should always QT new additions. I've decided to do it the proper way this time, and will be ordering 6-8 juveniles from Kenny, and I was wondering would it be okay if I grow them out in a 20L until they're around 4-5 inches. I'm planning to do 80-100% water changes daily. And when they're old enough I will move them into a hardscaped 75g.

Solid
05-04-2015, 10:16 AM
I think a 20L is way too small for any discus except maybe for a short term medication tank for 1 fish. 6-8 4" fish in a 20L would be ridiculous.

DiscusRob
05-04-2015, 11:50 AM
I would go with at least a 55 gallon, you might pull it off with a 40 long short term, jmho

DonMD
05-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Yes, what happened to you has happened to me; losing all my stock due to not quarantining. 6 or 8 juvies would do very well in a 55 gallon, as Rob says. Even a 40 might work for awhile, but you want them to grow. If you do use the 40, then you could just move them into your 75 earlier. It all depends on what size they are when you receive them.

I assume the 75 is an existing tank that is running? If so, how do you know that whatever pathogen you had before is not living in the 75? After I lost my fish, I sterilized every blooming tank I had, all the filters, etc., and bought all new nets and sponges. Then I conducted a fishless cycle, and was able to introduce my new fish without issues.

Good luck, let us know how it goes! -Don

zimmjeff
05-04-2015, 08:37 PM
I had 7 quarter size fish in a 29 for 2 month's with 100% water changes, then they went to the 75. Jeff.

Kyla
05-04-2015, 11:08 PM
is there a drawback to growing them in the 75g?

Solid
05-05-2015, 08:04 AM
is there a drawback to growing them in the 75g?

The only drawback I can think of would be more wasted water and time because you have to change so much more water during water changes.

Taitea
05-05-2015, 08:15 AM
I sterilized the 75g they were in and it's been running for a couple of days empty now, had to go through a mini cycle since I left filter off and sterilized it a bit. And well it looks like I just have to grow them in the 75g. I think the problem with that before was because I had less than a cm of sand just to cover the ugly glass bottom, so I just removed it and going with a fully bare bottom tank. Would there be any harm in taking out the stock when they're 4-5 inches and adding sand and driftwood?

Kyla
05-05-2015, 05:50 PM
i just accidentally deleted my comment... the gist of it was that u can certainly add sand when they mature. but u may find u love how easy it is to clean a BB :)

Taitea
05-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Yeah I'm keeping it BB until they get to adults, so I won't have a boring tank for such a beautiful fish.

Taitea
05-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Well it looks like I ran into a problem; I just got a job and the schedule is 8am-6 Mon-Fri, would you guys recommend me just buying juvies still, or go with sub adult/adults?

Second Hand Pat
05-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Well it looks like I ran into a problem; I just got a job and the schedule is 8am-6 Mon-Fri, would you guys recommend me just buying juvies still, or go with sub adult/adults?

Depends on your commitment. Going with four inch fish might be a better way to go with a full time job.
Pat

Solid
05-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Having a job doesn't mean you can't grow out. It just means more work. If you wake up a bit earlier for a feeding in the morning and are reliable for a feeding and water change every day even after a long day of work. You should be fine. You can also get an auto feeder for a light feeding of flake or pellets while you are at work.

On the other hand, having a job means you will have a bit more cash, so you might be able to afford bigger fish. Bigger fish are much more flexible if you have a hard day of work and you decide to skip a water change. You also wont need to feed as often. This was the route I took with the batch of discus I have now and I am glad I did.

100fuegos
05-06-2015, 04:22 PM
I sterilized the 75g they were in and it's been running for a couple of days empty now, had to go through a mini cycle since I left filter off and sterilized it a bit.

Beware of this!!!!!! I am surprised nobody saw this. This is not the way to go, sterilise the filter, tank, nets, hoses... Everything with bleach or you will be in the same boat in no time. Start slow but steady with a fishless cycle, remove the sand and paint the bottom white.

Taitea
05-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Beware of this!!!!!! I am surprised nobody saw this. This is not the way to go, sterilise the filter, tank, nets, hoses... Everything with bleach or you will be in the same boat in no time. Start slow but steady with a fishless cycle, remove the sand and paint the bottom white.
Trust me it's going to be a long steady process until I get them in the tank.

Taitea
05-06-2015, 11:11 PM
I'm actually buying a couple of sponge filters from Kenny just to get it cycled faster

ESXiGuy
05-07-2015, 02:50 AM
Not to thread hijack but if you don't mind me asking - what happened to cause all the Discus to die? Was there no treatment that could have been done in tank to save them?

lksdrinker
05-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Trust me it's going to be a long steady process until I get them in the tank.

All the time in the world might not destroy whatever it was that killed your other fish. If you have the luxury of time, then why not sterilize everything properly and then cycle your "new" filter?

Taitea
05-07-2015, 10:54 PM
I did, since I found out Kenny sell seeded sponges.