PDA

View Full Version : Is this case of external parasite?

shadeslayer
05-04-2015, 10:59 AM
One of my discus seems to be breathing from only one side.

If this is, how can I treat it?

Please let me know

https://youtu.be/Miz6aFibqCQ

Solid
05-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Your best bet to get a good answer would be to fill out this questionaire and post the answers to the "Emergency Room" Section of the forum.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Honestly I am not very good with medications so hopefully someone else can give you advice. If it was me, I would start with increasing my water changes, make sure the fish has pristine water. As it appears you might have gill flukes, I would try Prazipro or a praziquantel based medication. It is good for flukes and is very mild on the fish.

shadeslayer
05-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Thank you Solid!

This problem started last week.
I had made this post, same parameters still stand
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119627-Help!-Asap!

I had moved the 2 angelfish to quarantine and both unfortunately died after 3 days. 1 more angelfish is still in the quarantine tank, hopefully he will be ok.

Petland Discounts told me to use Melafix so that's all I've been using

Solid
05-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Again I am inexperienced with medications and I cant post in the emergency room section yet, so please take any of my recommendations with a grain of salt. I don't know about Melafix, but I have heard it is next to useless. I almost always treat sick fish with clean water and a few days time, and it has worked 95% of the time for me. I have been lucky. I have used Prazipro and Metronidazole when clean water and time didn't work.

That angel looks like it has a bacterial infection to me which might be completely different from the gill problem your discus is having. For external bacterial infections my guess would be to try Furan-2. Again I hope someone more experienced can give better recommendations as I am really shooting in the dark (but I would like to help!).

shadeslayer
05-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Just wanted to update, I did a huge water change, and after a few hours, the discus was back to normal swimming, eating heartily.

Thank you so much for your help!
after losing 3 fish in the past week, I'm very relieved that my discus are fine so far

I really wish I could figure out where the problem is and why the 3 angelfish died. Such is mystery

Kyla
05-04-2015, 11:14 PM
that discus is also clamping, twitching and clearly irritated. something is def wrong. the breathing from one gill is a symptom of gill flukes. if changing the water worked, thats great and maybe you're good. if symptoms return, prazipro works well for gill flukes.

shadeslayer
05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I had ordered a prazipro with one day shipping yesterday just in case

good thing I did, because today in the morning, I checked and the discus was back to breathing from only one side.
After a 80% water change, taking out the carbon, and I just put in the prazipro.

hoping for the best. Again thank you all for your help!

another question: should I keep up with daily water changes or should I wait 5-7 days before next water change?

Solid
05-05-2015, 02:22 PM
You should keep up with the water changes and add back the prazipro after each one. So if you do 80% water changes dose 80% prazi after.