PDA

View Full Version : painting tank problem!

haile161
05-05-2015, 01:45 AM
like the picture, i want to paint the bottom with sand color, but i dont want to show the ugly center brace. so i thinking about paint inside the tank. can i do that? or any different way? thanks for reading this!

donnacona
05-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Here is one idea the black support won't show.
1-Get a piece of clear plastic the size of the bottom.
2-Paint one side the sand color. When dry put into the tank painted side down.
3-Then put a bead of silicone to seal the bottom.
Check with others on this site maybe someone else tried this I never have it's only an idea.
Stu

pitdogg2
05-05-2015, 09:43 AM
I just let the paint run through the brace by standing on end then I just blend the best I can by standing the tank on its top. Sometimes it comes out good and then sometimes I see a shadow.

John_Nicholson
05-05-2015, 10:57 AM
I have not done it myself but many people claim that krylon fusion can be used in a aquarium.

-john

pitdogg2
05-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Hey John I wonder how well it holds up to a scrub pad while cleaning algae off the glass?

haile161
05-05-2015, 11:48 AM
thanks for all the ideas! where could i buy the clear plastic that fit for my tank?

rickztahone
05-05-2015, 12:17 PM
thanks for all the ideas! where could i buy the clear plastic that fit for my tank?

Home improvement store or a plastic shop near you would sell acrylic

dprais1
05-05-2015, 12:56 PM
I have not done it myself but many people claim that krylon fusion can be used in a aquarium.

-john

I have used drylock on the inside of an aquarium but it will not stand up to vigorous scrubbing. I have used krylon fusion on plastic in an aquarium with out issue but never on glass.

Both are safe to use but not sure how well they will hold up.

lksdrinker
05-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Hey John I wonder how well it holds up to a scrub pad while cleaning algae off the glass?

I would guess that would not hold up at all to scrubbing.

The center brace is usually only attached via the frame and is not adhered to the glass in any way. You might be able to slide some paper/cardboard (anything similarly colored to whatever paint you use) between that piece and the glass.

I personally think all these options sound like a lot of trouble for what I dont consider to be a big issue.

Solid
05-07-2015, 04:16 PM
The center brace is usually only attached via the frame and is not adhered to the glass in any way. You might be able to slide some paper/cardboard (anything similarly colored to whatever paint you use) between that piece and the glass.

I think this is true so I am thinking you might be able to get a paint brush or pipe cleaner with paint in there.

pitdogg2
05-07-2015, 04:24 PM
I think this is true so I am thinking you might be able to get a paint brush or pipe cleaner with paint in there.

you can I've done it. That is why I stated earlier that I just stand on end and gob up the paint and let it just run under the brace it has worked for me. Sometimes I need to get at it from both sides but it will work. The other I just thought of is you can get vinyl from a sign shop and add some soap water to the sticky side slide under squeegee out the bubbles and let dry. I had forgot about the mirrored vinyl I applied to the back of a 55 many years ago, it worked great and when it came time to remove it came right of with very little residue that came right off with soap and water.

haile161
05-07-2015, 10:10 PM
so the paint can run under the brace? how does it look?

Altum Nut
05-07-2015, 11:04 PM
I've replaced center brace moldings on some tanks by just sliding a blade between glass/brace to cut silicone. There should only be dabs of it from the factory build. Clean off silicone, paint, let dry and just re-silicone it back on.

...Ralph

pitdogg2
05-08-2015, 09:44 AM
so the paint can run under the brace? how does it look?

like paint that ran:) when I did it from both sides I had one small circle that the paint ran around about the size of a pencil eraser. Mine was oil based black high gloss just something I had left over so the drying was slow and I was able to do it over 3-4 days to fill in. I then painted both left and right side of the glass brace. I did need several coats to completely cover the glass. I do not know how latex would react to glass.

bluelagoon
05-09-2015, 12:14 PM
A while back I used a store bought light blue background that's made for fish tanks and measured to fit the inside bottom and lightly painted the background with silicone.It worked great.Just another idea.