PDA

View Full Version : Flagyl treatment for hex

Surfnturf
05-06-2015, 12:43 AM
I treated my discus for five days with metro about three weeks ago and saw some white feces yesterday. Still have poor appetite and two that I never see eat. I plan on treating them with another round of metro at a higher dose. I've read I can treat 500 mg per 10 gallons three times a day for 3 days. Does this mean I need to do 3 water changes a day for the 3 days?

Thanks

bornlooser
05-06-2015, 03:18 AM
It said that the potency of Metro is lost after 8 hours that's why some dose every 8 hours..but I don't see it as necessary ,I dose only once a day with a 100 % water change...I do it for 7 days,this is to eliminate the parasites totally ;to get rid of those that hatch from the oocysts...the oocysts hatch in 3 days ,I believe...higher water temps shorten the hatch time ..this my understanding anyway.hth..

Surfnturf
05-06-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure where the 8 hrs comes from either. IV bags of Flagyl last longer than that. A couple of days if I'm not mistaken. Five days at a lower dose did not clear it so I thought if it wouldn't hurt the fish I would try every eight hours. I'll bump the temp too. 92 deg sound ok? Got that from discusnada site.