PDA

View Full Version : Discus in hospital tank keeps starting at his reflection in corner!

ESXiGuy
05-07-2015, 02:11 AM
I picked up a few Discus from a forum member who is moving and one of them was in bad shape with surface wounds.

Appears to be healing up and getting better except is not eating well, even to the point of ignoring live black worms swimming on the bottom of the glass.

At certain angles, the Discus will attack and eat the blackworms but for the most part he will just hang out in the corner looking at his reflection. It seems that he's able to see his reflection from all aspects of the tank.

Any ideas how to resolve? It's like the most ideal is to put something _inside_ the tank that can cover up all the walls but no idea what that might be.

Thanks in advance for the help.

alron2
05-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I doubt he can see his reflection, I bet he has some internal parasite like Hexi. If I were you I would post in the ER section and include the completed questionaire and pictures.

jmo
Ron

DISCUS STU
05-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Posting in the disease section is the right advice. Fish often face the back of the tank when their sick.

While we see reflections due to the double glass panes and optical effects, to the fish it's the same as you or I looking out a window.

ESXiGuy
05-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Hmm interesting. What would be the reason for people painting the bottom of their tanks and sides for bare bottoms?

alron2
05-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Cut down on the shadows and movement in the fish's view..
Ron

Kyla
05-08-2015, 12:58 PM
when the lighting is right i can see my reflection in a window. i have a male angelfish that flares and attacks his reflection in the glass when he is breeding. i let algae grow on the sides and back of the tank to prevent this, but he was just moved into a clean tank and its driving him nuts lol! but this alone shouldn't affect the discus' health. u should still post in the disease section if its not eating and u r concerned.

ESXiGuy
05-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Would the reflection issue alone off the bottom or sides of the tank enough to keep a Discus from eating?

DISCUS STU
05-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Would the reflection issue alone off the bottom or sides of the tank enough to keep a Discus from eating?

Short answer no. It really shouldn't be an issue under any circumstances. Discus stop eating when their sick and sometimes mechanically injured. Usually it has to do with an internal issue like an infection, constipation, or something else. They can also stop eating when they've been introduced to a new tank or are under stress.