PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up Pictures...

Phillydubs
05-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Hello to all the photographers and picture enthusiasts out there...

After having my first child 9 months ago, you can imagine that the pictures are flying in, more so than I can even keep up with. My camera cards are chock full, my iphone as well. I typically would just upload to iphoto through my macbook and not think twice about deleting the rest. Now with the baby around these once "whatever" pictures have become rare gems in my household.

Now, my computer itself is running out of space... I went ahead and purchased a back-up hard drive. I have been moving things over to that to create space on the computer... But I am still at the what if this breaks or gets damaged phase. Someone suggested getting another hard drive to back up that one and keep it in say a fire proof safe or a safe spot like that. I know there are now a multitude of "cloud" based back ups or these other programs that either auto back things up or back them up over a network of some sort out in cyber space.

I was wondering if someone uses, has any feed back or suggestions as to what I should do. I am ok with technology but I am by no means a techie or expert. I want something easy, simple yet safe and secure.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

brewmaster15
05-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Phil,

Have you read this one?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118405-How-do-you-store-your-photos-videos

al

brewmaster15
05-08-2015, 12:27 PM
This one will give you nightmares...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118940-The-downside-of-online-photo-hosting-cloud-storage

al

Phillydubs
05-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks AL sorry for the redundant post... I should take my own advice and use the search tab!!!

rickztahone
05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks AL sorry for the redundant post... I should take my own advice and use the search tab!!!

These threads help us all get to information we need :). Don't feel bad about brining something up. Congrats on the new addition, and I know how you feel. I got in to photography because of my first born daughter.

brewmaster15
05-08-2015, 01:42 PM

No apologies needed Phil.The links were just some information I thought you could use. I do love that we have the ability to search the forums past threads..but questions always are welcome.After all its a discussion forum not a literature club! :)

Discus-n00b
05-08-2015, 02:21 PM
External hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper as the space gets larger and larger. I would buy a couple, dump your photos/videos onto all of them and store them at different locations. Keep one at a family member's house if its closeby, fire proof safe at home, etc That way no matter what you have a copy somewhere. This presents a little logistics headache keeping them updated but if you are close to the locations doing it maybe once a month or so would probably be fine. I'd always keep one next to the computer up to date, that way in case the computer crashes and you haven't updated the others in a while you always have a copy ready to go.

I don't usually like Cloud storage, I don't like the sensibility of it just sitting out there where people could break in or in Al's case a company could mess up and erase it all. I think if used in conjunction with other stuff it might be ok, but I personally wouldn't pay a premium for it when I can get multiple TB worth of space for what...$100-200 in a one time cost?

I've been looking into something like a Drobo, basically an array and redundant storage. Costs a bit but might be better than plugging a bunch of of HDDs up one by one and especially if you have a bunch of drives already sitting around like me. I'd still keep something off site though.

DiscusOnly
05-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I would do both.

Get a portable drive for less than $100. Most will have backup software that will do auto backup when you connect it. I would also use a cloud backup as well. I have Amazon Prime and I use their cloud service for backup. I do IT so one of my other cloud backup is through Microsoft since I use their Azure and Office services.

brewmaster15
05-08-2015, 03:33 PM
I know at 4.7 gb the dvd is getting a little small for storage Of dslr pics..but the fail rate is real low...burning your favorite pics onto a dvd is probably a very good option as well. I do this with mine. Redundancy is key. Store important things in multiple places and on several media.
al

Phillydubs
05-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Any cloud based programs that you guys like or have good experience with? Google wnats $10 a month for a tera... I looked into the amazon but it seems to get awful reviews... I am a prime member though...

rickztahone
05-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Any cloud based programs that you guys like or have good experience with? Google wnats $10 a month for a tera... I looked into the amazon but it seems to get awful reviews... I am a prime member though...

So long as you are backing those pics somewhere else as well, any are fine so long as the price is right. For $10/month though, you can save up a few months and get an external hard drive.

dagray
05-09-2015, 09:42 PM
keep an eye out at Costco for the two and three terabyte external hard drives. I use two for my backups.

DiscusOnly
05-11-2015, 11:24 AM

If you are Prime member, why not try it and see how you like it? I would still use cloud as a 2nd backup though. I do backup and disaster recovery for my work and I find it's best to use a combination.