PDA

View Full Version : Thawing out beef heart mix in refrigerator. Help please

blueluv
05-09-2015, 01:53 PM
I thaw out BH mix in the morning for my discus , so it'll be ready for when I come home in the afternoon to feed my discus. My question is. How many days can the chunks I break off stay in the refrigerator and still be fresh to use ? Thank you all

MendoMan
05-09-2015, 03:13 PM
I thaw out , in the fridge,enough for three days.

Bill63SG
05-09-2015, 05:53 PM
I throw it in frozen,never think of thawing it out,no problems.Even do that for juvies,tho for quarter size and under I shave it with a razor so its pretty thawed when it hits the water.

alron2
05-09-2015, 07:51 PM
I shave 3 oz once a week and keep it frozen until I need it. Then I feed it frozen, but it is thawed just after it hits the water.
Ron

Fish_Fin-atic
05-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Why thaw it? If your water is more than 80 degrees as it should be, there is no reason to thaw it, just shave it thin with a knife, and toss it right into the tank. It will thaw very quickly, and the fish have no problem eating it this way. If anything, leave it to thaw out of the freezer/fridge for 5 minutes or so, before tossing it in your tanks.

IMO if you leave it in the fridge, it will lose some of the nutritional benefits/vitamins etc, and absorb (plus add to) any odors in your fridge, plus it could go bad if you are leaving it for days. Why take the chance, just toss it in freshly thawed.

blueluv
05-10-2015, 09:32 PM
I shave 3 oz once a week and keep it frozen until I need it. Then I feed it frozen, but it is thawed just after it hits the water.
Ron
What do you shave it with ?

Why thaw it? If your water is more than 80 degrees as it should be, there is no reason to thaw it, just shave it thin with a knife, and toss it right into the tank. It will thaw very quickly, and the fish have no problem eating it this way. If anything, leave it to thaw out of the freezer/fridge for 5 minutes or so, before tossing it in your tanks.

IMO if you leave it in the fridge, it will lose some of the nutritional benefits/vitamins etc, and absorb (plus add to) any odors in your fridge, plus it could go bad if you are leaving it for days. Why take the chance, just toss it in freshly thawed.

How thick are the BH shavings?

alron2
05-11-2015, 12:17 AM
I use a kitchen grater, similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Brite-pride-metal-kitchen-graters-2-mini-New-graters-in-gift-boxes-SEE-/400909107568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d580b8170

It is very thin, maybe 5 to 10 sheets of printing paper.

Ron

dprais1
05-11-2015, 06:17 AM
just toss it in the fish will eat it, no need to thaw it or shave it. they eat the outside of the chunk first anyway, and that is being eaten as it thaws out.

Keith Perkins
05-11-2015, 08:13 AM
In answer to your original question it would stay good for about a half a week, perhaps a little more. As many others have already said though it's not necessary to thaw it. I'm in the habit of setting my feeding out on a plate on the counter for 15 minutes, or much longer when I forget about it, before feeding. More frequently though I find myself just feeding it straight out of the freezer.

Loosir
05-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Hans told me 2 days and this seems to work fine. I put 4" in a new ziplock snack bag at night and that feeds 2 mornings, 2 evenings.

Fish_Fin-atic
05-11-2015, 11:06 AM
See this video, just fast forward to about 31:11 or so, and it will show how thick and how to shave it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuIKAKbuBeU

DISCUS STU
05-11-2015, 04:20 PM
I remove from the Ziplock bag break up pieces and then cut those into much smaller pieces approx. 1/4" to 1/8" for 1-2 feedings that day.

They will thaw as I'm cutting them and when they hit the water. I never thaw them before hand.