PDA

View Full Version : 75g or 58g/QT

Taitea
05-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Hello, I recently acquired a 58g Oceanic tank for free, the problem is it has me torn between using it for growing out the discus I bought from Kenny for this month's shipment or the 75g I have. I'm not worried about cycling because I purchased 2 seeded sponges from him, and also the filter from the 75g.

Also, what would the quarantine requirements be to mix fish from Kenny and a LFS?

rickztahone
05-10-2015, 02:13 PM
What sized discus did you purchase from Kenny?

Taitea
05-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I purchased 3-4" discus.

rickztahone
05-10-2015, 05:09 PM
I purchased 3-4" discus.

You can possibly keep them in the smaller tank for a while but I'd probably put them in a larger tank right around the 5" mark. This is just my opinion however.

Taitea
05-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Approximately how long would it take for a discus to grow to 4.5-5" long with daily 50% W/C's and fed beefheart, bloodworms, my sis shrimp, brine shrimp, and FDBW? Because if they're going to reach that mark in like 2-3 months I might as well keep them in the 75g.

rickztahone
05-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Approximately how long would it take for a discus to grow to 4.5-5" long with daily 50% W/C's and fed beefheart, bloodworms, my sis shrimp, brine shrimp, and FDBW? Because if they're going to reach that mark in like 2-3 months I might as well keep them in the 75g.

Probably around 6 months or so since you have some that are also 3". I would honestly suggest that you do the 75g outright.

discuspaul
05-10-2015, 06:35 PM
A 4" discus obtained from Kenny should be expected to grow to 5" quite quickly, with good care and nutrition, and large daily fresh wcs. So yes, it makes sense to keep them in the 75 while awaiting adding more discus to bring the number of them to a more socially compatible level or 5 or more.

But out of curiosity, why would you ask about quarantine needs for mixing Kenny's fish with others acquired from A LFS ?
You're likely aware that discus acquired from an LFS are quite likely, as a general rule, to have been obtained from a suspect source, and may well not be in a good, healthy condition - so this source should generally be avoided as being a risky move.

Having said that, some LFS, but very few I'd wager, do sell healthy, well-shaped and well-cared for fish.

If you're intending to get some discus from an LFS because you're fully satisfied as to their good quality, then the appropriate QT would be to segregate them from Kenny's discus for several weeks, and then only add one of Kenny's discus to the LFS group, and maintain those together for several more weeks.

If nothing untoward were to develop among the LFS/single Kenny fish group after 6 or more weeks, then you could place the complete group together in the 75 gal tank.
Hope this helps you.

discuspaul
05-10-2015, 06:38 PM
I purchased 3-4" discus.

Probably around 6 months or so since you have some that are also 3". I would honestly suggest that you do the 75g outright.

I may be wrong here, Ricardo, but I took Taitea's quoted remarks above to mean he had bought 3 fish of 4", not 3" & 4" fish.

rickztahone
05-10-2015, 07:49 PM
I may be wrong here, Ricardo, but I took Taitea's quoted remarks above to mean he had bought 3 fish of 4", not 3" & 4" fish.

I think you are right now that I re-read it. In that case, I would agree with Paul, just put them all in the 75g tank. Additionally, if you can avoid getting from an LFS, I would.

Taitea
05-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Here is the discus from the LFS, what do you guys think?87024

rickztahone
05-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Depending how old they are, they don't look too bad. Still, even if they looked the healthiest ever, you always do the same QT process. HTH

discuspaul
05-11-2015, 11:35 PM
They look healthy enough, but as Ricardo mentioned, it's important to know how old they are. Were they acquired from a local breeder, for example ? It's difficult to tell from the 1 pic, that's not very close range. It's suspect if you can't determine for certain their source & age.

Important question is, what is the price asked for them ?
They Look like quite young juvie fish of around 2" in size, and if that's the case, the price shouldn't be any more than around $20. or so - max, around $25.
If that isn't near the ballpark cost, then walk away, and buy your additional discus from either Kenny or another recognized reputable SD sponsor.

Taitea
05-12-2015, 08:22 PM
They're around 2.5"-3.5" and I already purchased them, that's the thing. They're eating like pigs. Seen decent growth for the week I had them.