PDA

View Full Version : Am I feeding my discus enough?

Taitea
05-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Will a feeding schedule of 10am,12pm,3pm,6pm,9pm,12pm be good enough for juvenile discus? I'm feeding FDBW, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and San Francisco Bay beef heart some I don't know where to get beef heart to make it myself. And also, how will I know if I fed them enough in a feeding?

DISCUS STU
05-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Feeding 3-4 times a day should be enough. All this feeding directly affects water quality. Discus, especially young growing ones, need plenty of protein. Frozen brine shrimp is generally very low in protein and high in water content while live brine may need to be rinsed for excess salt, up for debate. The other food sounds good.

They should generally finish their food within a few minutes. Please elaborate on the number of fish, their size, age, tank size, water changes, bb or not, and all general parameters.

alron2
05-14-2015, 01:13 PM
As far as where to find beefheart, a lot of grocery stores can order it for you, ask the butcher. In Alabama Winn Dixie, Publics and several small Mexican stores can get it.

Ron

Taitea
05-14-2015, 01:14 PM
3 3-3.5" juveniles, 4 more arriving from Kenny, gonna go into 75 after QT.
75g bare bottom with 50-80% water change daily
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate >10

DC Discus
05-16-2015, 02:31 AM
Wouldn't hurt to mix in some flake food or tetracolor too. I use the cobalt flakes, but California Blackworm's flakes are good too (sponsor here).
Cheers,
DC

strawberryblonde
05-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Don't sweat it if you can't find beef heart. My discus have only ever eaten the frozen San Fran Bay beefheart and they've thrived on it. =)

I generally feed beefheart, Al's freeze dried blackworms (FDBW for short) and a mix of Dicsus flakes. Feedings of 5-6 times a day in small amounts works well and you'll find that with more discus they will consume it very quickly indeed!

When the new discus go into the tank you'll want to up the amount of the daily water change in order to keep up with the increased bio load, the increased amount of food in the tank, etc. Other than that, all sounds good to me!