PDA

View Full Version : Discus digestion

blueluv
05-14-2015, 11:02 PM
Why do some of my discus have poop that comes out like thread of yarn ? It eventually comes off but have noticed it comes out that way. Am I over feeding ? I feed them about 3-4 times a day

rickztahone
05-14-2015, 11:47 PM
Are you concerned because it is long? Do you have a pic? 3-4 times is fine so long as you aren't feeding too much each time. Are they finishing their food in 15 minutes?

blueluv
05-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Are you concerned because it is long? Do you have a pic? 3-4 times is fine so long as you aren't feeding too much each time. Are they finishing their food in 15 minutes?

Yes, my concern is that it's long. Honestly I've never timed them but they eat everything pretty quick. 2 cubes of FDBWs I the morning , frozen bloodworm as a snack. In the afternoon 2 quarter size pieces of BH mix and before I go to bed 2 cubes of FDBWs.

blueluv
05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
This how it comes out of my discus

DISCUS STU
05-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Do all the fish in this tank do this? Believe it or not there are also differences between the strains as far as digestion goes.

rickztahone
05-15-2015, 06:59 PM
lol, that long poop shouldn't be too concerning. The color is spot on ;). Maybe add some water to their diet, lol. Sorry, joke was at hand.

DonMD
05-15-2015, 07:29 PM
That is definitely not normal, they should be pooping out little pellets. You may want to fill out the disease questionnaire. I have been told, or read, that with long poo like that it's actually some intestinal lining that is coming out. When I had sick fish with spiro, they had similar long poo, only white. There may be an intestinal infection or problem there, if I were you I'd post this in the emergency room section. Good luck.

blueluv
05-15-2015, 07:49 PM
That is definitely not normal, they should be pooping out little pellets. You may want to fill out the disease questionnaire. I have been told, or read, that with long poo like that it's actually some intestinal lining that is coming out. When I had sick fish with spiro, they had similar long poo, only white. There may be an intestinal infection or problem there, if I were you I'd post this in the emergency room section. Good luck.
Post in the emergency room ? I was hoping it wasn't anything to be worried about.

DonMD
05-15-2015, 08:05 PM
If you post in the ER, you'll most likely get much better advice than I can give you, that's for sure.

rickztahone
05-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Post in the emergency room ? I was hoping it wasn't anything to be worried about.

I'm only talking about my experience but in the past, I didn't pay much mind to a discus or 2 that may have shown this long feces. Then again, it may be something to keep an eye on. Talk to Hans (that's where you got them right, sry I forgot) and see what he says.

bluelagoon
05-16-2015, 10:00 AM
May I suggest a bit more veggies in their diet.