PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter

Larry L
05-16-2015, 09:48 AM
90 gallon tank with 6 juvenile discus feeding 4x a day how long before cleaning filter also 2 sponge filters in tank first time with a canister filter.

DonMD
05-16-2015, 10:30 AM
I usually wait until the flow begins to decrease, indicated that the filters are getting clogged, or if the water looses its clarity.

FMA4ME
05-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Keep a sponge prefilter on it. The last thing you want is food getting sucked down there and kept down there. You'll know exactly who's eating and how much. Some food will stick to the filter sponge, but the fish clean it up in no time. Rise the sponges with every water change.
As far as maintenance, waiting for decreasing flow is to long. If your prefilter is doing its job, it probably won't get that far anyway. The canister and media will still benefit from regular rinsing with aquarium water.

rickztahone
05-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Keep a sponge prefilter on it. The last thing you want is food getting sucked down there and kept down there. You'll know exactly who's eating and how much. Some food will stick to the filter sponge, but the fish clean it up in no time. Rise the sponges with every water change.
As far as maintenance, waiting for decreasing flow is to long. If your prefilter is doing its job, it probably won't get that far anyway. The canister and media will still benefit from regular rinsing with aquarium water.

absolutely spot on advice. I have always kept pre-filters on my canister intakes. If you see how much crud accumulates on those things, you will never go without a pre-filter again.

Larry L
05-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Added one yesterday Thanks