PDA

View Full Version : Weird looking discus. Thoughts on why?

Mulletpullet
05-19-2015, 10:54 AM
I saw an ad online for a discus that is for sale, and I have never seen the coloration before. I don't know if this thing was sick at one point, of he's a mutt and has coloring for that reason, or perhaps someone here has a reason I don't know about. He's the bottom fish in the photo.

Thoughts?

jmf3460
05-19-2015, 11:13 AM
looks like a terribly stunted, oddly shaped, badly peppered turq to me. not a good buy in my opinion I would keep your money if you're considering buying it

DiscusRob
05-19-2015, 11:19 AM
looks like a terribly stunted, oddly shaped, badly peppered turq to me. not a good buy in my opinion I would keep your money if you're considering buying it

++++1

John_Nicholson
05-19-2015, 11:21 AM
That is what can happen when you cross a PB with a non-PB.....You get ugly fish.

-john

brewmaster15
05-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Pepper aside, those two are also seriously poorly shaped and -unted( stunted or runted)
al

Mulletpullet
05-19-2015, 12:02 PM
I was not considering purchasing after I saw the photos. There were other photos with fish with much better coloring, but I thought they looked stunted. I don't feel like I have gained an eye for that yet, so I'm glad you guys thought so too. I asked him how long he'd had them, and he'd said a few years. And that they were 4-5 inches. And that some of the others he had were 2.5/3 inches that he'd gotten in Nov.

As for the rusty colored one. Man I thought it was ugly. Haha. Almost made me wonder if there could be a demand for ugly fish like there is for ugly dogs. Haha.

strawberryblonde
05-19-2015, 12:16 PM
That has to be one of the most, um, interesting discus I've seen!

Looks like a cross between a turq (non pigeon blood) and maybe a fire red or something in the rafflesia/eruption category (definitely a pigeon based discus!). Poor thing has bad shape and is stunted and peppered.

You're learning though Mullet and knew that it wasn't good quality, so trust your gut more. =)

Sadly, I have a pair in my tank made up of one pigeon and one non pigeon who are each gorgeous by themselves, but I won't ever let them raise any of their fry. No way I'm gonna own any ugly discus! LOL

nc0gnet0
05-19-2015, 02:23 PM
That is what can happen when you cross a PB with a non-PB.....You get ugly fish.

-john

Well, you did say can happen and not will happen. Dare I say progress?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

lol

FMA4ME
05-19-2015, 02:44 PM
I see many lfs discus look like that. Sometimes minus the peppering they look interesting.

zimmjeff
05-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Don't buy anything from him. Jeff

FMA4ME
05-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Yea if you want a brown discus, buy an Alenquer :D

DISCUS STU
05-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Just to weigh in. Though the the bottom fish can't display stress bars, the top one can and look at how dark they are. Poor, sickly fish that would need a lot of tlc and some meds to even be considered sub par.

The bottom fish is some type of Pigeon Blood. Both of these are very commonly sold by the thousands and are probably the culls from the asian farms where they are bred in huge numbers.

Chad Adams
05-19-2015, 08:07 PM
G
Well, you did say can happen and not will happen. Dare I say progress?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

lol

Now that's funny...
And... Wishful thinking!