PDA

View Full Version : Female discus loosing her mate

Luke S.
05-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Hello I just got an adult discus that was a high quality breeding pair, from a friend of mine and he said its mate had died of age so he gave me him for $100 could this female possibly repair up again?

Rudustin
05-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Yes, she probably can. How old is the female and the male? Rufus

Luke S.
05-20-2015, 06:36 AM
I don't know but he said the male died.

Second Hand Pat
05-20-2015, 06:52 AM
Hi Luke, put her with a suitable male and see what happens.
Pat

DISCUS STU
05-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Sure. She can re-pair with another male. They aren't mate for life types. Put her into the general population or with a proven male and see what happens. IMO, generally it seems easier to find an egg laying female than a male that can get the job done.

Luke S.
05-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Haha that's true, just didn't no if the guy sold me a fish that was going to die.

Larry Bugg
05-20-2015, 05:49 PM
I would be concerned and certainly asking some questions. You said the male died "of age". I take this to mean that it died of old age. If the remaining female is old also then I would be concerned about it dying and I would also be concerned about how fertile it might be if I was planning on breeding her. Ask the age from the seller.

Luke S.
05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
He said the female I a year and a half and the male was two years old when he died

Larry Bugg
05-20-2015, 07:14 PM
He said the female I a year and a half and the male was two years old when he died

Well then the male did not die from old age. A discus can live from 8 to 10 or more years. Now I would be worried about why the male died.

DISCUS STU
05-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Well then the male did not die from old age. A discus can live from 8 to 10 or more years. Now I would be worried about why the male died.

This is true. The male couldn't have died from old age. If the female is really 1 1/2 years old then she should be fine. Something sounds off here.

rickztahone
05-22-2015, 09:05 PM
This is true. The male couldn't have died from old age. If the female is really 1 1/2 years old then she should be fine. Something sounds off here.

It does kind of raise a red flag for me as well. Get the sellers side of it though and do it privately with them.

Luke S.
05-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Sorry bout that guys I heard this wrong from the seller and I asked him again and he verified this to me and said the female would be fine and that the last time she spawned was a week before the male died, so I guess something happened there, although she is doing a lot better and after a weak in my comunity tank she is beginning to feed on the surface. I guess it was just a matter of time!��