PDA

View Full Version : A sad day...

Second Hand Pat
05-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Yesterday I had to ease my horse Khayel over the rainbow bridge. He was my 17 year old arab gelding, riding partner and friend. I first saw him when he was two days old and owned him since he was a yearling. He had developed an advanced case of COPD over the last year and I could not manage his breathing issues any longer and his quality of life was heading to the gutter.

So yesterday he spend the morning in knee deep grass munching on peppermints. He was comfortable and happy. My good friend Randi came to be with us. She is my former riding instructor. His passing was gentle and he will be missed.

Randi is on the left.

brewmaster15
05-22-2015, 09:38 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: 17 years is a very long time Pat. I am sure he had a very happy life with you. You may have lost a friend but you also made many happy memories over the years. I'm sure Khayel is in a meadow somewhere now thinking on his time with you.

al

Loosir
05-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Pat,
So sorry for your loss, he's a beautiful horse and sounds like a wonderful friend.

AngryBird
05-22-2015, 09:48 AM
Sorry for your loss Pat. Take care.

Second Hand Pat
05-22-2015, 09:54 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: 17 years is a very long time Pat. I am sure he had a very happy life with you. You may have lost a friend but you also made many happy memories over the years. I'm sure Khayel is in a meadow somewhere now thinking on his time with you.

al

Many, many happy memories Al. Khayel was such a goofball he is always getting himself in awkward situations. Like the time he found a place in the fence where the wire had been woven together yet he managed to part the wire and squeeze under the five feet fence. He was a bit taller then the fence.

I was walked down the driveway and found him grazing along side the driveway. I have no idea how he got under the fence. He is a horse, not a cat lol.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
05-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Pat,
So sorry for your loss, he's a beautiful horse and sounds like a wonderful friend.

Thanks Geoff, he was

Sorry for your loss Pat. Take care.

I will Prabhu

alcastro
05-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Realy sorry for your loss Pat, hope you heal soon.
AL

Solid
05-22-2015, 10:26 AM
So sorry for your loss Pat! That picture is such a beautiful scene. I am sure Khayel was well taken care of and will be missing you just as much as you miss him.

Sandy Clay
05-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Oh how sad...knowing he is at rest and can breathe easy now, should bring you comfort.

Phillydubs
05-22-2015, 12:05 PM
I feel awful for your loss Pat, my heart breaks for you :(

chaoslite
05-22-2015, 01:06 PM
I am sorry for your loss Pat.

Mishka

Larry L
05-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Sorry for your loss Pat.

Larry

Disgirl
05-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I'm so sorry Pat. But what a wonderful life you gave him, no horse could be more loved and well cared for. RIP beautiful horse. Take care Pat,
Barb

Second Hand Pat
05-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Realy sorry for your loss Pat, hope you heal soon.
AL

Thanks Al, feeling a bit more upbeat today :)

So sorry for your loss Pat! That picture is such a beautiful scene. I am sure Khayel was well taken care of and will be missing you just as much as you miss him.

Thanks Matt, knowing Khayel I believe him would agree.

Oh how sad...knowing he is at rest and can breathe easy now, should bring you comfort.

It does Sandy, he would not have survived the summer.

I feel awful for your loss Pat, my heart breaks for you :(

Thanks Phil, I will miss him.

I am sorry for your loss Pat.

Mishka

Thanks Mishka

Sorry for your loss Pat.

Larry

Thank you Larry

I'm so sorry Pat. But what a wonderful life you gave him, no horse could be more loved and well cared for. RIP beautiful horse. Take care Pat,
Barb

Thanks Barb, I also have Jake, Khayel's dad here. He is 29 so must be doing something right :)

Second Hand Pat
05-22-2015, 08:17 PM
A bit of good news. Knowing this decision was coming I managed to find a new horse. He will be here Sunday. This new horse is as much for Jake as he is for me. Horses do not do well by themselves.
Pat

Disgirl
05-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Good news to hear Pat. Tell us about the new one later on,OK?
Barb

Second Hand Pat
05-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Good news to hear Pat. Tell us about the new one later on,OK?
Barb

Well do Barb and with pictures. :)
Pat

Larry Grenier
05-23-2015, 09:58 AM
I know where you head and heart is Pat. I've had many dogs over the years and still have heart pains over the ones from the past whom have gone over the bridge but I wouldn't trade having them with us for anything. We've adopted a few old dogs, like me, too to ease their retirement. We have a plaque with the rainbow bridge words on it but I need to be alone when I read it because no-one want to see an old dog cry.

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks Larry, we have dogs also and Tom and I are on our third dog since we have been married. Be it dog, horse or even bird (for us) the trip over the bridge is always hard. Like you, the animals add so much joy to our lives that I always hope to have them in my life. :D
Pat

Scribbles
05-23-2015, 04:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss Pat. The kindest act for our cherished animal friends is the hardest for us. What a wonderful horse. I hope that the 17 years of fond memories you two shared comfort you during this hard time.

Chris

Second Hand Pat
05-24-2015, 09:05 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss Pat. The kindest act for our cherished animal friends is the hardest for us. What a wonderful horse. I hope that the 17 years of fond memories you two shared comfort you during this hard time.

Chris

Thanks Chris, making the decision is never easy but most often it is the only decision one can make. :(
Pat

SPK329
05-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Very Sad Pat.......So sorry to hear about your tremendous loss........Glad to hear about the new Horse....Enjoy

Second Hand Pat
05-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Very Sad Pat.......So sorry to hear about your tremendous loss........Glad to hear about the new Horse....Enjoy

Thanks Steve, talking about the new horse. He arrived today. :D:D

He is a 15 year old buckskin quarter horse named Bucky. Not a great picture but gives an idea.

SPK329
05-25-2015, 03:43 PM
He looks great Pat.......Enjoy him

Kingdom Come Discus
05-25-2015, 03:58 PM
So sorry to hear the news Pat. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Beautiful new guy.

Mrs. J
05-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Pat, I am so sorry for your loss. My neighbor about half a mile down the road called me early one morning to say my Tennessee walker was looking in her patio door. Actually he was looking at his reflection! Having him and his companion was truly a joy and when I had to put him down such a deep sorrow. He will always be with you. Best of luck with your new one. Julia

Second Hand Pat
05-25-2015, 06:34 PM
He looks great Pat.......Enjoy him

I will Steve :D

So sorry to hear the news Pat. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Beautiful new guy.

Thanks Kraig, hope you are doing well and up and about.

Pat, I am so sorry for your loss. My neighbor about half a mile down the road called me early one morning to say my Tennessee walker was looking in her patio door. Actually he was looking at his reflection! Having him and his companion was truly a joy and when I had to put him down such a deep sorrow. He will always be with you. Best of luck with your new one. Julia

Thanks Julia, it does simply hurt but time will heal and the good memories are left. :)
Pat

Larry Grenier
05-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Hey Pat! Love to Bucky!

Funny story; (only to dog & horse people). We like to drive thru the country with our dogs and stop to look at cows, horses, and other animals. Our dogs are usually brats but one time we met a couple of horses who actually "played" and communicated with our dogs. The horse put his head down and lightly stomped his hooves and our dog got down on his elbows and danced a little and they had a little "thing" going-on that I never saw before. Really fun to watch.

Heyyyyyy Bucky, all the best from my dogs!

Second Hand Pat
05-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Larry, a shame you do not have a video of that. What a treat.

Bucky and Jake are together now. They are sorting out the pecking order. After an initial kicking session all is calm and no one hurt.
Pat

Quintin
05-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear Pat.Hope Bucky brings you plenty joy

Regards
Quintin

Second Hand Pat
05-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear Pat.Hope Bucky brings you plenty joy

Regards
Quintin

Thanks Quintin

Ardan
06-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Pat, I am sorry for your loss! I am sure many good times were had together

Ardan

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Pat, I am sorry for your loss! I am sure many good times were had together

Ardan

Thanks Ardan and yes we did :)
Pat

zimmjeff
06-01-2015, 10:18 PM
He was lucky to have you. Jeff

Pardal
06-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Sorry for your loss , Pat.

Julian

Second Hand Pat
06-02-2015, 02:09 PM
He was lucky to have you. Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I was lucky to have him also. He taught me a lot.

Sorry for your loss , Pat.

Julian

Thanks Julian