PDA

View Full Version : Beginner with question on cycling tank

scottjensen
05-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Hey All,
I am new to SD but I have done a lot of reading here. I have a 90 gallon bare bottom tank that I am cycling. I started it with a fishless cycle and after about eight weeks of nothing happening i added a few angle fish for something to look at. After nine weeks I finally started seeing nitrites. In the last couple of weeks I have done two 50% water changes because the nitrites have shot up to 5.0. It wasn't until today about 11 or 12 weeks in that i finally tested and I have nitrates. My water tests Ammonia 2.0 Nitrites 4.0-5.0 Nitrates 5.0. My question is should I do another water change because my nitrites are so high or does this mess with the cycle?

Twistofer
05-23-2015, 05:46 PM
It might help to know about your filtration and what else is in the tank. IMO the nitrifying bacteria need something to latch onto, so hopefully you have something in your filter on which the bacteria can grow. It does seem like a long time for your tank to cycle.

scottjensen
05-23-2015, 06:53 PM
That's what I thought. I have a 30 gal. sump with drip tray raining on two 3 in. pieces of poret foam and a filter pad on top of the foam. I have a piece of poret foam separating about a fourth of the tank with k-1 media circulating with 4 air stones.

Kyla
05-24-2015, 01:07 AM
what were you using for your fishless cycle? pure ammonia?

just to clarify, you need to add a source of ammonia to an empty tank for the BB to grow and feed on... from your post it seems you werent adding anything and thus when u put the fish in ur parameters spiked? iay have just read it wrong tho...

if there are fish in your cycling tank i would be doing large wc everyday... those levels will be harming the fish... it may slow the cycle but it will save the angels...

scottjensen
05-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Yes I was using ammonia keeping the the level to 4.0. I only have 2 fish in the tank. they don't create enough waste to keep the level up so I do add ammonia.

MendoMan
05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
I have no idea what's going on but something is very wrong if after that amount of time your tank hasn't cycled. I've done two tanks with the fish less cycle, no seeding , using only Ace brand ammonia and both were completed and ready for fish with 6 weeks. Was your ammonia unscented?

DiscusRob
05-24-2015, 02:47 PM
The angels are probably going to be in trouble, especially if you are still dosing ammonia, ammonia and nitrites are extremely toxic to fish, as for your cycle, you might be stuck mid cycle, it's rare, but it does happen. Also, check your expiration date codes on your test kit and/or take a water a sample to your lfs and have them test it, see what they get for readings.

DonMD
05-24-2015, 03:40 PM
If you are getting nitrates where you weren't before, then you are getting a cycle going. I have used Nite-Out to help speed up the process, and for me getting the nitrites to cycle has always been the hardest. If I were you I would drain as much water as you can, and refill. Then, add 1/4 of the ammonia you were adding in the past. Check immediately for ammonia to verify that the level is readable. Check back in a few hours to see if there has been a decrease in ammonia and an increase in nitrites. Next day, if you're lucky, the nitrates will be zero, as well as the ammonia.

If you use a dechlorinator, the instructions should say how to dose in the event that either ammonia or nitrites are high. Good luck.

scottjensen
05-24-2015, 05:04 PM
I have a new API test kit and I am using Ace brand ammonia. I don't know why it's taking so long but now that I am seeing nitrates I hope I am getting close.

Twistofer
05-25-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm a big believer in some of the nitrifying bacteria additives. ProdiBio make several products in sealed glass ampules. I like BioDigest and StartUp. I've used them successfully in both fresh and saltwater tanks. While many of their products are specialized for the marine aquarium, there are products for both systems. (PS: The stuff is somewhat pricey, but I think it's worth it). ( http://www.prodibio.com/our-products ) You can find the products in the US @ Amazon, Drs. Foster and Smith, Marine Depot and the like.

Off hand, I believe you have a "stuck" cycle. The other option would be to add a fast growing stem plant like Anacharis to the tank. It may jump start the process.

scottjensen
05-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks Twistofer I just ordered the prodibio off of doctor fosters. I hope this helps finish the cycle i'm dying to order some fish from kenny.