PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to breed Albino Platinums?

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 11:50 AM
I received less than a week ago the last two Albino Platinum discus from Chicago Discus from their last shipment. Within a day and half of getting them they began to show signs of pre spawning behavior. Yesterday evening I cam home from work and they were spawning on a spawning cone that I had put into their quarantine tank the day before. Needless to say I was surprised that they would feel so comfortable to do this. From what I have read Albino Platinums are difficult to breed because their fry have a difficulty finding them due to their lack of darker color. I'm not even sure this first spawning is even viable so I have no expectations even though the eggs are still on the cone and the parents are being very vigilant. I'm not even sure that the male covered the eggs. The interesting things is that the female has darkened to a light peach color in her body and the base of all her fins. I was wondering if anyone else has observed this color change in Albino Platinums. I have a golden albino pair that do spawn with some frequency in a community tank and the female does get richer in her color. I will say that the female of this pair that has spawned was pure white two days ago. Would like to get some members here to comment. Thanks. Rufus

DonMD
05-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the spawning, Rufus. I haven't bred albinos, but I have had difficulty at times with the fry attaching to the parents I do have. They seemed to get confused in the tank and congregate at the top corner of the aquarium, or on the sponge. This was in a 29 gallon tank. I was successful getting the wigglers to attach by removing the sponge filter (leaving an air stone), and lowering the level of the water at least by 50. So from the time the wigglers were disconnecting from the cone until they found mom and dad, I had no bio-filtration in the tank. I compensated with twice daily water changes and double dosing Safe. Once the fry were well and truly happy on their parents, I put the sponges back in and increased the volume of water. It worked for me. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

XAnhLe
05-24-2015, 12:44 PM
oh wow you are so lucky Rufus, I have had my albino platinums for months waiting for them to lay eggs, don't have any luck so far. Congrats. Are they in the tank by themselves?

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Congrats on the spawning, Rufus. I haven't bred albinos, but I have had difficulty at times with the fry attaching to the parents I do have. They seemed to get confused in the tank and congregate at the top corner of the aquarium, or on the sponge. This was in a 29 gallon tank. I was successful getting the wigglers to attach by removing the sponge filter (leaving an air stone), and lowering the level of the water at least by 50. So from the time the wigglers were disconnecting from the cone until they found mom and dad, I had no bio-filtration in the tank. I compensated with twice daily water changes and double dosing Safe. Once the fry were well and truly happy on their parents, I put the sponges back in and increased the volume of water. It worked for me. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Hi Don, Thanks for the info. If there should be any fry, which is doubtful but possible, this is good information for me. Thanks you so much for the advice. Rufus

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 01:07 PM
oh wow you are so lucky Rufus, I have had my albino platinums for months waiting for them to lay eggs, don't have any luck so far. Congrats. Are they in the tank by themselves?
Hi, I am lucky I think! I have three other APs that have never shown any sign of breeding and it's rather a surprise that these two newcomers should spawn in a qt tank of twenty gallons in less than four days of having them! Rufus

XAnhLe
05-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Hi, I am lucky I think! I have three other APs that have never shown any sign of breeding and it's rather a surprise that these two newcomers should spawn in a qt tank of twenty gallons in less than four days of having them! Rufus

I'm super jealous lol

Hopefully you'll be raising AP frys soon :)

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm super jealous lol

Hopefully you'll be raising AP frys soon :)
Well don't be jealous just yet! LOL! At least I know I have a female and a male from the breeding tubes however I never actually saw what I think is the male covering the eggs but we shall see! Hope is eternal. Rufus

Phillydubs
05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
So amazing rufus!!! Happy for you. Good luck!!

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 02:25 PM
So amazing rufus!!! Happy for you. Good luck!!Thanks Phil, I sent you pics last night on your email of the pair spawning. Did you get them?Rufus

alcastro
05-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Congrats Rufus, do what Don said plus might want to play with color LED lights and make sure you keep you water very clean, i have bin looking for albinos pairs they are difficult, good luck
AL

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Congrats Rufus, do what Don said plus might want to play with color LED lights and make sure you keep you water very clean, i have bin looking for albinos pairs they are difficult, good luck
AL
Hi Al, Thanks and let's not assume anything yet. The one thing I have learned about keeping discus you have to be patient with little regard to to much expectation! Can you be a bit more clear about "play with the color LED lights?" Thanks. Rufus

alcastro
05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
I bought some LED flexible strips on ebay with remote, multi color RGB, it has a adhesive back, peels off, you can change the color of lights and dim them, pick the color that my help the fish pop or makes them dark .

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Al, Thanks for the advice. I have Remote Satellite fixtures on my tanks so I can switch colors and dim or enhance all colors of all my discus. I can make them darker as well. I got them from Ken's at the suggestion by Pat. I really love them and you can do it all just by sitting in a chair! LOL! They are expensive but in the long term really worth it. Rufus

e_abuzer
02-12-2022, 07:22 PM
Hi Al, Thanks for the advice. I have Remote Satellite fixtures on my tanks so I can switch colors and dim or enhance all colors of all my discus. I can make them darker as well. I got them from Ken's at the suggestion by Pat. I really love them and you can do it all just by sitting in a chair! LOL! They are expensive but in the long term really worth it. Rufus

Hi there,
It would be great if you could share which rgb setting would be best to get a platinum albino look dark. I also have some spawning, and I have an rgb setup that I can play with including dimming, white balance etc.
Thanks a bunch.