PDA

View Full Version : Water for raising young discus

RyanGSP
05-26-2015, 01:17 AM
I am wondering about the water for raising from (from dime size to adult hood). Do the young fish require RO water, RO/DI water or will tap work?

My water here is very hard with lots of disolved minerals (Sorry no specific reading yet). I do age my water right now for my adults, I age it roughly 24hrs with an airstone and heater. So for growing out fry would hard waterwork or should I invest in an RO or RODI filter?

John_Nicholson
05-26-2015, 09:16 AM
You should be fine with tap. The secret is how clean you keep it.

-john

DonMD
05-26-2015, 09:27 AM
I have raised several spawns now, and as soon as they fry are well attached to the parents, I stop using RO and use only tap water. My tap is about 280ppm TDS, so it's very hard. No problems.

elleng
12-16-2015, 08:32 PM
i have a couple of egg laying pairs in Texas HARD water... do i need to add ro to get the fry to hatch? so far no hatchlings, i clean tanks everyday, and replace with aged water.. all were raised in this tap water from babies...about 2 "

John_Nicholson
12-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Yep most need softer water for the eggs to hatch.

-john

elleng
02-02-2016, 02:40 PM
now have 4 egg laying pairs!!! they get to wigglers but no free swimming... still in a community tank, i dont know if im ready to take the plunge and set up breeding tanks and hook up ro to my sink!!!!! ive raised a lot of angels but the discus seem a lot more difficult...