PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I have nothing to do but take video's of my fish!

Loosir
05-31-2015, 05:25 PM
yep, here it is.

http://youtu.be/dQwEFPATKaA

DonMD
05-31-2015, 06:01 PM
God, another total addict! Can't help but sit stoned in front of the tank! LOL!

Loosir
05-31-2015, 06:18 PM
"addict...stoned"

Don. are you trying to tell us something?!;)

rickztahone
05-31-2015, 06:23 PM
About the most basic tank you can have, but do you need anything else with discus as gorgeous as this? I say nay. I prefer tanks like this actually, clutter free, clean as can be (see my HS name, lol) where the fish are the focus. TFS

Loosir
05-31-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks so much Ricardo!
You know I'm only fishing for complements;)

discusmat
06-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Sad to see these beauties in just a glass box!

Discus-n00b
06-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Excellent tank!! Love the blues and orange PB in the video, really nice fish. And tank looks super clear! Video quality is excellent too.

Loosir
06-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Sad to see these beauties in just a glass box!

I thought I was doing it right, everyone always says that "an aquarium is a glass box that you throw money into" ;);););)

Loosir
06-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Video quality is excellent too.

Thanks so much Matt! I did just notice that the whole image is tilted!! Haha :confused:

discusmat
06-02-2015, 10:45 AM
No, it just makes me sad to see such beautiful discus
in a bare bottom tank.I know some folks like it,I just don't understand it.

Loosir
06-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks Matt,
I just couldn't help making the joke!

I do plan on adding décor someday but this is the easiest was of keeping the water pristine for growing them. They're a year old and I might add substrate when they are two.

Thanks for complements! I really appreciate them!!!

discusmat
06-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Well anyway very nice discus my friend.

Loosir
08-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Yep, still nothing else to do but take video's. I've posted on other threads, by might as well up date the video one too!

http://youtu.be/gvxu07xYUjw

Jack L
08-17-2015, 10:29 AM
what are you taking video with

Discus look great, i prefer display with plants aesthetically, but growing them out in one is a huge PIA. i did it before, doing it again now, i forgot what a chore it is. if i were to do it again, i'd grow in a bare bottom

dprais1
08-17-2015, 10:46 AM
It is funny to me how such a 'bare' tank can be so enticing. I like my BB tank more so than a fully planted tank. keep up the good work!

Loosir
08-17-2015, 10:58 AM
what are you taking video with

Discus look great, i prefer display with plants aesthetically, but growing them out in one is a huge PIA. i did it before, doing it again now, i forgot what a chore it is. if i were to do it again, i'd grow in a bare bottom

Thanks Jack!
Yeah all I'm trying to do is growout but I'm still a little afraid to take the next step and build a display tank, Maybe when they're done growing.

I use a Nikon J1, I love this camera, I'm not even a prosumer but it helps me take some awesome shots.
Here's one of my favorites

Geoff

alron2
08-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Geoff.

"prosumer" ? You are showing your youth; coming from an old baby boomer, I had to look it up. I love your video's and pictures.

Ron

MadMatt
08-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Smoken!!!
I love them!
You have some seriously nice fat heads there!
What do you feed them?

Loosir
08-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Geoff.

"prosumer" ? You are showing your youth; coming from an old baby boomer, I had to look it up. I love your video's and pictures.

Ron

Haha, Nice! I meant it as Pro/Consumer the half way in between the way camera websites talk. But Google spit out some "production by consumer" not sure what that is. Anyway, Thanks!

Smoken!!!
I love them!
You have some seriously nice fat heads there!
What do you feed them?

Thanks Matt!!

I make a Beef heart mix (John's recipe) and Al's FDBW (Fantastic stuff) I feed BH and DFBW in the morning and just a bit of BH at night.

Jack L
08-17-2015, 10:04 PM
nice shot
i only had film for my 1st discus tank, every photo was garbage and i had to pay and wait for development to find that out!

Jack L
08-17-2015, 10:11 PM
can you post "johns recipe" if it feeds w/o putting tons of debris in water?

i made my own bhmix, went simple, heart, spirulina wafers, and various high quality flakes, but then i feed it, it makes a LOT of particles in the water.

thinking its the spirulina wafer, but not certain. but i'm certain it plugs my filter socks

Jack L
08-17-2015, 10:15 PM
oh and with a planted tank....besides keeping it clean a big issue with a real tank is you need other fish to help with the algae, then you run the risk of bringing it parasites.

i lost a discus a couple weeks ago because of that.

Loosir
08-18-2015, 08:58 AM
can you post "johns recipe" if it feeds w/o putting tons of debris in water?

i made my own bhmix, went simple, heart, spirulina wafers, and various high quality flakes, but then i feed it, it makes a LOT of particles in the water.

thinking its the spirulina wafer, but not certain. but i'm certain it plugs my filter socks

Jack,
Here's the thread:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?110292-How-I-make-beef-heart&highlight=how+i+make

I think the secret is lots of shrimp, from what I can tell its almost half shrimp which holds it together. Mine falls apart too but it sinks, it does not float all over.

So sorry about your losses.
Geoff

MadMatt
08-18-2015, 01:45 PM
My wife has me put banana in it, that really seems to hold it together.

Jack,
Here's the thread:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?110292-How-I-make-beef-heart&highlight=how+i+make

I think the secret is lots of shrimp, from what I can tell its almost half shrimp which holds it together. Mine falls apart too but it sinks, it does not float all over.

So sorry about your losses.
Geoff

Jack L
08-18-2015, 08:28 PM
mine holds together, it fact it held together enough the other night to remove it and put back in freezer. but some particulate floats off of it continuously. maybe the flake that i added.

i found that feeding the flake was a huge PIA, more went through the filter then through the fish, so i combined with beef heart.

i'll save off this recipe for next time. thanks.

on a related topic, was just at this huge fish store in lancaster, that pet place. no discus, and their frozen section was mostly emtpy. but they did have pricing for frozen beefheart. about 6 bucks for 4 oz. that would get expensive FAST. my LFS don't have frozen beefheart anyway.

Loosir
08-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Here's a video of my BH mix in water.
It's John's recipe plus cod and paprika but no venison. It sinks and doesn't cloud the water. It does break up but it's not a problem in a bare bottom.

http://youtu.be/wHOnj2ueoMg

rickztahone
08-19-2015, 10:45 PM
It looks to hold up very well. TFS :)

Jack L
08-20-2015, 12:21 PM
thanks for posting vid.
from what i can see, its similar with how it holds together but i have a bit more particles in the waters, however with a planted there is more contrast so there is more particles visible

my mix was this
1lb heart (or maybe it was 8oz can't find note)
1oz kens brine flake
1oz kens beef flake
1oz kens color flake
1oz hikari spirulina discs

as the stuff heats up in the blender....well it makes an interesting aroma!

i realized after i bought a bunch of flake, feeding it in flake form wasn't going to work out, so this seemed to work.

Jack L
08-20-2015, 12:25 PM
It looks to hold up very well. TFS :)

that does TFS mean?

rickztahone
08-20-2015, 06:57 PM
that does TFS mean?

Thanks for sharing ;)

Jack L
08-22-2015, 02:55 PM
i couldn't get video due to glare, but looking closely, i think its the meat particles, not flake. i found my 20 year old recipe, and they had mysis in them. i'll add shrimp next batch.

Jack L
09-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Here's a video of my BH mix in water.
It's John's recipe plus cod and paprika but no venison. It sinks and doesn't cloud the water. It does break up but it's not a problem in a bare bottom.

http://youtu.be/wHOnj2ueoMg

FWIW
i made some BH with nothing but beefheart. it does not hold together as well as the batch that had flake in mixed in.

Loosir
04-19-2016, 11:10 PM
So here's a little update, nothing much, I decided to buy a 29 gal and separate two, no idea if it will work but who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E71JZ41rTY&feature=youtu.be

Loosir
04-29-2016, 11:16 AM
And another, thanks for watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtgB3be6tr4

rickztahone
04-29-2016, 11:24 AM
That is a crazy cool black halo on that (WB?)

Loosir
04-29-2016, 12:11 PM
That is a crazy cool black halo on that (WB?)

Thanks Ricardo! That's my Dark Angel, I've really grown to love it. The blue comes and goes like stress bars but doesn't act like pepper at all.

rickztahone
04-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Thanks Ricardo! That's my Dark Angel, I've really grown to love it. The blue comes and goes like stress bars but doesn't act like pepper at all.

Very interesting looking for sure

Phillydubs
04-29-2016, 04:40 PM
I was going to say I thought that was a dark angel.

You have some really big round and gorgeous discus. Love the vids. Are these all Stednker?

Loosir
04-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks Phil!! Yes they are all Stendkers and will be going on 2 years this August. The tiny silver pigeon is a year younger than the rest. My plan was to bring a few to NADA but the family doesn't want me to sell any.

Loosir
04-29-2016, 05:51 PM
BTW, as a testament to never giving up on your fish, check out the snakeskin pigeon in the upper left hand corner of video 001 that was in September but from the video you can see how hungry he was. In the video 018 he's in the upper right-hand corner, he's huge, lost his pepper and rounded out nicely, biggest fish in the tank now!

LizStreithorst
04-29-2016, 06:08 PM
I think that your fish look great in the glass box you have them in. Heck, Discus prefer it the way you have it.