PDA

View Full Version : White spot on body

khooyang
06-02-2015, 10:08 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Doing routine water change. When the water is about 50%, added PP 6ppm and let fish dip in PP for 30 mins. Temperature dropped to 80F. This is my first time doing this as wanted to knock out as many bad bacteria or fluke as possible. Then, fill up water with 83F. Then in the evening, observe some fish have clamp fins and observe single white spot on body.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

clamped fins, white spot/spots on body

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Added Tri-sulfa to the tank immediately

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

tank size 132G
12 discus
few tetras and catfish

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

80% every 3 to 4 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Thin sand bottom , been running for about 7 months.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Age water for 1 night and did add Safe to the water. No ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __was 83.3F after seeing white spot did bump temperature up to 87.8F ___

- ph ___6.8__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __10ppm__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___

- RO water _YES___

It's actually a 40% RO with 60% tap water then add Safe and leave for a night with heater on.

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nothing is added recently

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Just added Tri-sulfa, water a bit milky and can't take good picture. Will wait till tomorrow morning for a picture.

Second Hand Pat
06-02-2015, 10:26 AM
When you say PP are you referring to PraziPro or potassium permanganate?

khooyang
06-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Sorry Pat, was referring to potassium permanganate.

What I did was while doing routine water change, while draining the water to about 50%, added 6ppm of potassium permanganate and let fish dip for 30 mins. Then continue draining water to about 10~15% water left in tank and then add new water.

Was thinking this is smart move as this can help eliminate bad bacteria and it turns out to be a stupid act.

I suspect my fish got ich while temperature drop? Does ich comes with clamped fins? Thanks.

Second Hand Pat
06-02-2015, 10:47 AM
From my reading I think the 6ppm is the maximum "safe" dose but I have never gone beyond 2 ppm. Today I do a six hour "light pink" treatment which Kenny recommended. I think your fish are reacting to your PP treatment and the white you are seeing is slime coat shedding.

Personally I would remove the Tri-sulfa and do large daily water changes to recover these fish. A temperature drop of three degrees is not going to cause a problem.

khooyang
06-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks a lot Pat. I see that's a small white bump on the body, will take a picture tomorrow.

Yeap, did a 6ppm as am doing only for 30 mins as opposed to the recommended 3 hours. Just like to ask for your 6 hours 'light pink' treatment, is that a 1ppm treatment? And how do you administer that process? Will that affect the bio filter?

Second Hand Pat
06-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Here's how I do it. I take a small amount of my PP stock solution and pour a small amount (about two tablespoons) into a small cup. Here how you can make a PP stock solution http://www.bidka.org/library/pp.shtml.

I add about the same amount of RO water in the cup with the PP. Now pour a small amount from the cup into your tank and allow it time to mix with the tank water. You are aiming for a light pink color in the tank. You will need to eyeball the color. You want just a hint of pink. You will need to add small amounts to the tank to maintain the light pink color over the next six hours. Once the six hours is up doing a huge WC. I also do a huge WC just before the treatment so the water is as clean as possible with few organics. I will add it is best to do this in a BB tank.

khooyang
06-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi guys,

Please find photo of fish with white spot attached. Please help to ID this white spot, is it ich? Only 1 on fish found. Water contain Tri-sulfa.

khooyang
06-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Should I use the iodine apply locally method?

Second Hand Pat
06-02-2015, 08:14 PM
I would suggest a couple days of large water changes.
Pat

nc0gnet0
06-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Thts not ich and I don't think it is something to be concerned about imho. Up your water changes to daily and it should disappear over time.

rickztahone
06-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Thts not ich and I don't think it is something to be concerned about imho. Up your water changes to daily and it should disappear over time.

agreed 100%. Throwing meds at this discus will probably cause more stress than that white spot on its own. Typically, these white spots show up as an indicator for lack of good water conditions. That is one gorgeous discus though. I wish you good luck.

khooyang
06-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Dear Pat, Mud and Ricardo,

Wow...what a relief to know that this is not a ich.

I am just too sensitive to disease, and any tiny change to fish will occupy much of my mind.

Just back from work (lunch time), will do a water change now! Haha...RO is filling up :)...

Thanks guys....feeling so good... :)

khooyang
06-02-2015, 10:57 PM
agreed 100%. Throwing meds at this discus will probably cause more stress than that white spot on its own. Typically, these white spots show up as an indicator for lack of good water conditions. That is one gorgeous discus though. I wish you good luck.

Hi Richardo, just to add, thanks for the nice compliment. That is a German Red Turq. from Forrest :). I thought I have done enough water change, seems not enough. Should bump up to every 2 days then...

rickztahone
06-02-2015, 11:31 PM
Hi Richardo, just to add, thanks for the nice compliment. That is a German Red Turq. from Forrest :). I thought I have done enough water change, seems not enough. Should bump up to every 2 days then...

every other day is fine. I use to have two beautiful Giant red turqs from Forrest through Kenny and to this day have not had any as nice. Keep up the good work. Every 2 day WC's is good if you do largish ones. Are you remineralizing your RO water? Are you wanting to breed?

khooyang
06-03-2015, 01:04 AM
every other day is fine. I use to have two beautiful Giant red turqs from Forrest through Kenny and to this day have not had any as nice. Keep up the good work. Every 2 day WC's is good if you do largish ones. Are you remineralizing your RO water? Are you wanting to breed?

Thanks a lot, Ricardo! I do not remineralize my RO. I just use 40% RO mixing with 60% tap water. I hope the fish can breed for me.

Actually, they do spawn: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119479-Wild-green-and-German-red-turquoise-(from-Forrest)-pairing-up

But because of not properly setting up the breeding tank, I have some PH issue: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119688-Help-and-suggestions-needed-PH-in-old-tank-keeps-dropping

Now waiting for my other 3 Wild Royal Blue to arrive and the breeding tank will be used as QT tank. Then after these 3 royals, I will stop purchasing new fish, and I will put them back to the QT tank for breeding.

Second Hand Pat
06-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Actually when you add tap to your RO you are remineralizing your RO water. :)
Pat

khooyang
06-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks for that, Pat :) Now all discus swimming happily after my afternoon large water change. Posting some pics in wild section soon :) Remote flash finally arrived.

rickztahone
06-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Ah, I knew your discus looked familiar!