PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear Level...

Phillydubs
06-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Hey all you aqua clear users... I have been running a 110 in my tank for a few months now. At first this thing was as quiet as can be, no issues... Lately it seems to be a tad noisy and the small level piece on the bottom keeps popping off. I don't want to not bere here one day and it pops off or god forbid worse falls off and breaks or drains the tank in some way...

Any of you have this issue? Do I even need this level piece on it? The flow seems good and steady... I do filter maintenance once a week, pull it apart scrub it, rinse the media in tank water etc. I'm going to pull it apart today and see what the story is... Just curious if anyone else has similar issues or other feedback...

DISCUS STU
06-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Yes, I've either set the level too low or had the same issue anyway. I use a plastic cap, or something similar, and it wedge it in between the filter and the tank. It stays by gravity and friction. I suppose I could use a super glue to make it more permanent.

Good idea to perform regular maintenance. These filters have a nasty habit of not restarting if there's any type of power flux as they coated with filter gunk.

I lost all the Discus in a 90 gal. one summer while I was away when this happened and I was using it as the only source of aeration. Even though I had canisters running, all the Discus suffocated. The smell was unbelievable. I learned a few valuable lessons from this. The first being to always run airstones!

Braydon00
06-03-2015, 10:26 AM
I usually always use the level on the filter. I think it helps with the flow rate as well as keeps the water from spilling out the back if it gets clogged. I think you can get a replacement off amazon, or you can make one yourself by sticking something behind it. I did that with my aqua clear 70 and works pretty well.

jmf3460
06-03-2015, 12:02 PM
I agree, the level thing is important, it makes up for slight variations in the floor or stand. it does pop off easily and this is something I think aquaclear needs to address bc it isn't fastened in there at all, just slips in. use a pepsi bottle cap and turn it long ways then shave off what you don't need to make it level.

strawberryblonde
06-03-2015, 04:47 PM
When I was using AquaClear's I never could keep that level thingie to stay. Drove me nuts, so I just removed it and then cut a piece of styrofoam to the correct thickness and glued it to the back of the tank. Never had to worry about losing it when I removed the filters to clean them - it just stayed right on the tank and waited for me to bring the filters back. =)

rickztahone
06-03-2015, 07:49 PM
I've never owned this filter but couldn't you simply silicone the piece? Or is it something that needs to be adjusted all the time? If not adjusted all the time, and say, once in a few years, removing silicone isn't a big deal.

Crockett
06-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Yes, I've either set the level too low or had the same issue anyway. I use a plastic cap, or something similar, and it wedge it in between the filter and the tank. It stays by gravity and friction. I suppose I could use a super glue to make it more permanent.

Good idea to perform regular maintenance. These filters have a nasty habit of not restarting if there's any type of power flux as they coated with filter gunk.

I lost all the Discus in a 90 gal. one summer while I was away when this happened and I was using it as the only source of aeration. Even though I had canisters running, all the Discus suffocated. The smell was unbelievable. I learned a few valuable lessons from this. The first being to always run airstones!

I was just going to buy one of these filters, but I think I may reconsider after reading this post. I travel from time to time and I really need a dependable filter, not one that is prone to malfunctioning. Can anyone recommend a another brand that will not have any issues and is more dependable. I myself have used the Marineland Emperor 400 Power Filters on my grow out tanks in the past, but now they make them without the flow control so I was planning on going with an aquaclear until reading this post.

rickztahone
06-03-2015, 09:39 PM
I was just going to buy one of these filters, but I think I may reconsider after reading this post. I travel from time to time and I really need a dependable filter, not one that is prone to malfunctioning. Can anyone recommend a another brand that will not have any issues and is more dependable. I myself have used the Marineland Emperor 400 Power Filters on my grow out tanks in the past, but now they make them without the flow control so I was planning on going with an aquaclear until reading this post.

As cheap as it sounds, the aqueon hang on filter that came with my 55g tank isn't a bad filter. From my experience, their filters work fine. I personally prefer canister filters, but wouldn't hesitate to use the aqueon if I had to.

Hoboken Ed
06-03-2015, 10:28 PM
I've never owned this filter but couldn't you simply silicone the piece? Or is it something that needs to be adjusted all the time? If not adjusted all the time, and say, once in a few years, removing silicone isn't a big deal.

I siliconed mine and haven't had an issue yet.

newbie2014
06-03-2015, 10:51 PM
As cheap as it sounds, the aqueon hang on filter that came with my 55g tank isn't a bad filter. From my experience, their filters work fine. I personally prefer canister filters, but wouldn't hesitate to use the aqueon if I had to.

I just fold up a towel to a desired thickness and put it between the filter and the tank. The towel also muffle the vibration/noise somewhat. Maybe it's just my luck, but all of my AC filters (20, 70 and 110) have been rattling and noisy. My el cheapo Aqueon filter, OTH, was extremely quiet.

rickztahone
06-03-2015, 10:51 PM
I just fold up a towel to a desired thickness and put it between the filter and the tank. The towel also muffle the vibration/noise somewhat. Maybe it's just my luck, but all of my AC filters (20, 70 and 110) have been rattling and noisy. My el cheapo Aqueon filter, OTH, was extremely quiet.

Well there's 2 :)

lksdrinker
06-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I have quite a few aquaclears; some of them the leveler/foot thing fits in there good and snug and some others have just worn out over time and the leveler/foot slides right out. Bought new leveler/feet and they also slide right out. So I "shimmed" the hole on the bottom of the filter with a piece of paper and/or papertowel. Lay that over the nub on the leveler/foot and then jam it in the hole and now it stays pretty well.

The other suggestions of using something like a bottle cap will work well also.....until you move the filter and your homemade wedge falls behind the tank. No big deal if you have your tank setup in a way where you can retrieve anything that falls back there. But certain stands can make this almost impossible to do!

DISCUS STU
06-04-2015, 11:40 AM

Not being able to self start after a power flux or outage is a problem if you're going to use one as a primary, as opposed to, a secondary unit. I have three of the smaller ones (they used to be called 40's) and after a flux 2 out of the 3 had to be restarted by removing the siphon and jiggling the impeller a bit. Easy enough, but you have to be mindful of it. Sometimes it's been a while before I've noticed that they're not working.

brewmaster15
06-04-2015, 11:55 AM
When I was using AquaClear's I never could keep that level thingie to stay. Drove me nuts, so I just removed it and then cut a piece of styrofoam to the correct thickness and glued it to the back of the tank. Never had to worry about losing it when I removed the filters to clean them - it just stayed right on the tank and waited for me to bring the filters back. =)

cut foam here as well..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

strawberryblonde
06-05-2015, 11:08 PM
cut foam here as well..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ROFLMBO! I just about spit my lemonade on the keyboard when I read that Al!

Ok, so there may have been a small blue piece of foam wedged between the filter and the tank for a couple of days after the leveling thingie fell off, but I am NOT addicted to Poret...honest...swears...no really! <ducking and running now>