PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep 4'' discus with 3'' discus?

AquaAlex
06-08-2015, 10:17 PM
I am considering getting 4 4'' discus and 4 3'' discus from discus hans.
Specifically below is what I plan on ordering. Can it be done if I do small water changes daily?
3 x Brillant Turquoise Discus Fish 4 inch
1 x Santarem Discus Fish 4 Inch
1 x Blue Pigeon Blood Discus 3+ Inch
2 x Blue Diamond Discus Fish 3+ Inch
1 x Cobalt Discus Flake .25 lb
1 x Red Scribbelt Discus Fish 3+ Inch
The flakes are 4'' too.... lol pretend you didn't see them. lol. just kidding.

discuspaul
06-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Hi Alex,
If you're getting all the fish from Hans, and all at the same time, there should be no problem, assuming your set-up is simple, in a sufficiently large fully cycled tank (75 gal minimum), with no other prior tank-mates.
Small daily water changes may be adequate if the tank is bare (i.e. not planted), but it would certainly be beneficial for the 3" fish to grow out properly if the water changes were no less than 25% daily, preferably up to 50%.
Does that fit in with your plans?

Altum Nut
06-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Paul types faster then me...lol

Nice selection Alex...
Being that they are already sub-adults, you did not mention tank size but I would not go smaller then a 75g but can get away with a 65g if it's their permanent tank.
The answer to your question in my opinion is yes...you can keep 4" and 3+ together.
On a 65g I would go less then 30% daily or 50% plus every other day.
You know the golden rule...pics are welcomed when your shipment arrives and they settle in.

...Ralph

alron2
06-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Ralph,

You wrote " but can get away with a 65g if it's their permanent tank.", I think you meant if it's "NOT" their permanent tank. ". Correct?
Ron

AquaAlex
06-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Hi Alex,
If you're getting all the fish from Hans, and all at the same time, there should be no problem, assuming your set-up is simple, in a sufficiently large fully cycled tank (75 gal minimum), with no other prior tank-mates.
Small daily water changes may be adequate if the tank is bare (i.e. not planted), but it would certainly be beneficial for the 3" fish to grow out properly if the water changes were no less than 25% daily, preferably up to 50%.
Does that fit in with your plans?
Yes. The tank is a 120 gallon aquarium. 48'' by 25 1/2'' by 25 1/2''.
25 percent daily water changes are no problem at all!

Paul types faster then me...lol

Nice selection Alex...
Being that they are already sub-adults, you did not mention tank size but I would not go smaller then a 75g but can get away with a 65g if it's their permanent tank.
The answer to your question in my opinion is yes...you can keep 4" and 3+ together.
On a 65g I would go less then 30% daily or 50% plus every other day.
You know the golden rule...pics are welcomed when your shipment arrives and they settle in.

...Ralph
The tank is a 120 gallon aquarium. Can my 2 male angels (3-4'') stay as well as my blue phantom and royal pleco?
There will be more than pictures. I plan on doing an unboxing video and pics. I love this forum so you can expect to see pics here. Plus videos on my youtube channel.

Altum Nut
06-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Ralph,

You wrote " but can get away with a 65g if it's their permanent tank.", I think you meant if it's "NOT" their permanent tank. ". Correct?
Ron

Ron,
I said no less then 75g but seeing that no tank size was mentioned and if all Alex had was a 65g then it would also work.
10g or so less then 10g rule per fish. I've done it and seen it done many time under optimal conditions.

Seeing now that tank size is a 120g..all that I have mentioned no longer applies.

...Ralph

seankelly
10-02-2015, 07:26 PM
You can't go wrongs ith Hans

Jason.M
10-02-2015, 07:38 PM
I recently listened to one of his podcasts and I believe he had some discus but got rid of them and is getting into saltwater. I don't think he got his discus from Hans, but ended up with some stunted ones from somewhere.

ssevasta
10-08-2015, 01:51 AM
That's a bummer. I got 15 fish from Hans, 9 days ago and they are absolutely gorgeous. I got six 4 inch Leopard Snakeskins, three 3+ inch Solid Fire Reds, three 2.5 inch Silver Pigeon Bloods, and three 2.5 inch Blue Diamonds. I currently have the six LSS in my 55 gallon rectangular tank and the rest in my 50 gallon bowfront tank. It's really cool having red, white, and blue fish in the bowfront. It's funny because at the time I wasn't even trying to be patriotic but the tank looks amazing.