PDA

View Full Version : Discus spreading fins

Taitea
06-09-2015, 01:22 AM
Do you guys have any tips on how to get my discus minions to spread their fins more? I peeked into their tank while the light was off and they had their fins spread so wide I thought they grew 2 inches over night. When it's the usual morning time with lights on, they don't look as majestic, they don't clamp their fins, but it's not spread as wide as when I see them with the lights off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan
06-09-2015, 02:25 AM
They have their fins spread at night because they are sleeping. When they are actively patrolling the tank and swimming around they may not display them as much. You usually see erect fins during fights/disputes and pairing/spawning. Otherwise there is nothing you can do to encourage it. It's a behavioral thing.

DISCUS STU
06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
They have their fins spread at night because they are sleeping. When they are actively patrolling the tank and swimming around they may not display them as much. You usually see erect fins during fights/disputes and pairing/spawning. Otherwise there is nothing you can do to encourage it. It's a behavioral thing.

This is right. They will do this at night when their sleeping/relaxed. Lights on, a little more stressful than light off, the fins are less erect.