PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe not to use any air stone in discus tank ?

Md. Shafiqual Alam
06-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Hi,

Hope you all are fine. I have a 200g bare bottom discus tank with 46 adult discus. Presently I have three air stone, 1 overhead filter inside that as well as water is circulated via a 30g sump with pump 3000L/h.

The air stone is doing a good aeration but I like to remove all my air stone from main tank and put them into sump. I like to make the water of main tank as calm as possible just a gentle water fall from over head pump and a side to side water flow for sump.

It can be notice that everyday we have to consider average 1hrs load shading (no electricity) for each 24hrs. So in 24hrs 1hr there will be no water movement for sure. (presently, 1 air stone is always running using IPS which also be removed)

My question will it be risky (oxygen/ water movement) if i remove all air stone from main tank?

Thank you.

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Hi Shibly, I would say it is safe to remove all the airstones to the sump. Unsure about the one hour where is no power. You could monitor the fish during the one hour without power and drop in one or more airstones if the fish show distress. My one concern is 46 discus is a lot of fish. You could also simply move one airstone at a time and see how the fish do.
Pat

DISCUS STU
06-09-2015, 10:08 AM
46 grown adults in a 200 gal. Can you send a picture? That's a lot of fish and bio load, especially if your're going to lose power for one hour a day.

Loosir
06-09-2015, 10:35 AM
I believe the main purpose of the air is to move water, this circulates the oxygen rich water from the top of the tank around, so there would be no reason to put it in the sump.

I would follow Pat's advice. If the fish hang out at the top of the tank then you will need away of circulating the water.

Solid
06-09-2015, 10:46 AM
I agree, I believe you should be fine. Most aquariums are fine with just a small surface agitation. However, things like tank depth and temperature can greatly effect O2 levels. I would try removing them slowly and observe them, especially during the 1 hour of no water flow, but my guess is you should be fine.

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Geoff, are you familar with a sump? Most sumps are setup to aerate the water and generally the sump pump provide enough flow in the tank so extra air stones are not needed. However I do not know how Shibly's sump is setup so I choose a more conservative approach.
Pat

Loosir
06-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Yes, I have a sump in my setup at home, and you're right, better to err on the conservative side.
Thanks

MKD
06-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Here is the downside.
No air in main tank when pump not working.
Air or bubble goes through pump will effect impeller.

Md. Shafiqual Alam
06-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Hi Shibly, I would say it is safe to remove all the airstones to the sump. Unsure about the one hour where is no power. You could monitor the fish during the one hour without power and drop in one or more airstones if the fish show distress. My one concern is 46 discus is a lot of fish. You could also simply move one airstone at a time and see how the fish do.
Pat

Hi Pat,
Hmm, the current quantity is also my concern. Hope I can shift some to my other tank which may be ready by next month. Anyway, I like the way you do think about the fish environment. I mean going to follow accordingly and update here later for further reference. Thank you Pat 😊

Md. Shafiqual Alam
06-09-2015, 02:54 PM
46 grown adults in a 200 gal. Can you send a picture? That's a lot of fish and bio load, especially if your're going to lose power for one hour a day.

Pls visit,
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=J4LzphV0R0Y

Loosir
06-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Whoa! Just gorgeous

The link is off bty, try it without the ?#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4LzphV0R0Y

rickztahone
06-09-2015, 07:44 PM
What I use to do is simply put a powerhead or have the return lines pointing up towards the water surface for agitation. What you want to avoid is the water surface becoming stagnant. So long as you achieve this, you will be fine. A sump in itself is rich in O2 so I wouldn't be too worried.

Md. Shafiqual Alam
06-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Thank you. :)

Whoa! Just gorgeous

DISCUS STU
06-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Whoa! Just gorgeous

This is very nice, but are these fully grown adults? They look more like sub-adults and juveniles. How large are these fish? My point being that 46 adults is a big strain on a system and crowded for a 200 gallon tank.