PDA

View Full Version : Glass Cages question

krislewis3
06-13-2015, 07:44 AM
I just ordered a new tank/stand from glass cages, to accommodate the new fish that I just ordered from Kenny! I hope they are reputable...does anyone here have experience with them?? Kris

LizStreithorst
06-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Most of my tanks are from them. They provided all the tanks at the last NADA. I expect you'll be very happy.

DiscusBR
06-13-2015, 10:43 AM
This thread has to move to the "livestock and product reviews" section. I know some members had a good experience with them, but here is mine. I ordered a 48g rimless tank and wood stand. They sent the wrong stand and I had to wait several weeks for the right one. When the right stand came, I was surprised to see that the 4-feet long tank had no central support in the back section. So I had to add extra support in the stand. As far as the tank goes, the glass was unnecessarily too thick (half inch). I had a 80g tank with much thinner glass and never had issues. Because of the thick glass, the tank weights a tone and has a greenish tone (I did not choose the more expensive starphire glass). I was not impressed.

alron2
06-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Mauro,

Was your 80 gallon a "rimless" also? I bet your 48 gallon had thicker glass because it did not have a top rim support. What do you think? jmo
Ron

strawberryblonde
06-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi Mauro,

I don't think there's a need for a center support for a 48g tank stand. My 120 glass cages tank, bought used, came with a wrought iron stand with no center support and I had no issues with strength or stability. Since then, I've built my own stand and still don't have a center support - the tank and stand are 48" long.

The thicker glass might be, as Alron mentioned, because the tank is rimless.

Quintin
06-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Good point.what size steel was used in the stand

DiscusBR
06-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Mauro,

Was your 80 gallon a "rimless" also? I bet your 48 gallon had thicker glass because it did not have a top rim support. What do you think? jmo
Ron

Yes, it was also rimless. Here is a video of that tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3prz_FtEY

As for the stand, it was a wood-only structure. No steel. It simply did not look sturdy enough for me with no support in the back.

Quintin
06-13-2015, 04:46 PM
As long as it had asolid back and sides to the stand it should be fine.not gunning u here but your expectations were above what they offer and u wernthappy.thats you consumer rite.but did you order it by spec and recie completely something different or did u not check the specs of item beforehand properly.

DiscusBR
06-13-2015, 04:54 PM
As long as it had asolid back and sides to the stand it should be fine.not gunning u here but your expectations were above what they offer and u wernthappy.thats you consumer rite.but did you order it by spec and recie completely something different or did u not check the specs of item beforehand properly.

I don't think you understood me. The stand did not have "a solid back". It had no support in the back. Zero. Some may be fine with that. It was below my expectations, however.

Quintin
06-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Only 2 sides.that does sound scetchy.lovely tank and discus you gt though

DiscusBR
06-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Only 2 sides.that does sound scetchy.

There was support on the two sides and in the front. Nothing in the back of the stand.

lovely tank and discus you gt though

Thank you.

Larry L
06-14-2015, 08:09 AM
I just bought a 90 gallon Deep Blue Pro from Discus Origins , Mark was very helpful has a lifetime warranty with one exception warranty will be void if you use a iron stand. Tank has tempered glass I checked glass cages price with shipping was 252 for tank and 211 for shipping just filled with water very nice well made tank. I thought that was interesting voiding warranty if you use a iron stand.

krislewis3
06-14-2015, 10:59 AM
I hope that I have a good experience, and I'll review the tank/stand after I receive it. I did notice that they use a thicker glass, when building a rimless tank. I plan to set the tank up, fill it with water, then move my current established cannister filter over to the new tank. I'm thinking that I can then move the fish to the new tank without problems! Is this correct? I would appreciate any tips you guys can offer me for this move! Kris

DonMD
06-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Sure, moving your canister filter will make your new tank immediately cycled. Most of the beneficial bacteria live in the canister media, especially if you don't have substrate. You won't have any problems.

krislewis3
06-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Don, that leaves me with another question.....I do have sand in the existing tank....how would you reccomend that I move the sand from the current tank, to the new tank? Kris

krislewis3
06-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Yes, it was also rimless. Here is a video of that tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3prz_FtEY

As for the stand, it was a wood-only structure. No steel. It simply did not look sturdy enough for me with no support in the back.

I gotta tell you that your tank is awesome. I really like the rimless look. Beautiful fish as well!!

DonMD
06-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Should you move the sand? Only if you want sand in your new tank LOL! !@ ! I don't think you'll have any problem with or without the sand. At worst you'll get a mini-spike, you know, a slight bump in ammonia or nitrite, but as the media in your canister are full of beneficial bacteria, they won't have any problem building up to handle the demand. Just monitor the ammonia and nitrite for the first few days, and if you see a spike, just change water more frequently and double up on the Prime, or whatever de-chlor you use. No worries.

LizStreithorst
06-14-2015, 05:24 PM
You will be fine. Just don't clean the canister before you move it.

krislewis3
06-15-2015, 03:46 AM
You will be fine. Just don't clean the canister before you move it.

My plan was to clean the filter 2 weeks prior to moving it to the new tank......does that make sense to you?

krislewis3
06-15-2015, 03:48 AM
Should you move the sand? Only if you want sand in your new tank LOL! !@ ! I don't think you'll have any problem with or without the sand. At worst you'll get a mini-spike, you know, a slight bump in ammonia or nitrite, but as the media in your canister are full of beneficial bacteria, they won't have any problem building up to handle the demand. Just monitor the ammonia and nitrite for the first few days, and if you see a spike, just change water more frequently and double up on the Prime, or whatever de-chlor you use. No worries.

I was concerned about the disruption of the sand causing problems in the new tank!

Ardan
06-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Hi,
I would "siphon" out the sand and clean it well then put it in the new tank and add a small amount of water first to let the dust settle. jmo

Ardan

fishtanktenderfoot
06-15-2015, 11:31 AM
I bought from Glass Cages a 90 Long (48x18x25 Tall) with the Starphire front. I love it, and they were very nice to work with. I live close enough I was able to go and tour their facility before ordering. It helped me pick the 90 over the 67 gallon which I was undecided on at the time. Looking back, I can't believe I ever considered that narrow tank! They have great aquarium knowledge, so best wishes with it and your new fish!

krislewis3
06-15-2015, 04:13 PM
I bought from Glass Cages a 90 Long (48x18x25 Tall) with the Starphire front. I love it, and they were very nice to work with. I live close enough I was able to go and tour their facility before ordering. It helped me pick the 90 over the 67 gallon which I was undecided on at the time. Looking back, I can't believe I ever considered that narrow tank! They have great aquarium knowledge, so best wishes with it and your new fish!

LOL, i also ordered the 48x18x25, with the star fire glass on the front, however, I didn't have the luxury of picking it up, and the shipping cost as much as the tank. (This new tank will replace the 67gl. narrow tank that I currently have!) Since you already have yours, and I haven't received mine yet, perhaps you can tell me about the difference in the starfire glass, as opossed to standard glass...... Kris

krislewis3
06-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi,
I would "siphon" out the sand and clean it well then put it in the new tank and add a small amount of water first to let the dust settle. jmo

Ardan

How would you suggest that I clean the sand?

pitdogg2
06-15-2015, 04:26 PM
swish it around a 5gal bucket pour off the top until you get to the sand.....repeat.......repeat.......repeat...you get it :):p

Quintin
06-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Wash with hot water rinse repeat.untill clean

Second Hand Pat
06-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Wash with hot water rinse repeat.untill clean

Hi Quintin, I have not found hot water to be needed when rinsing sand. :)
Pat

rickztahone
06-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Personally, sand is so cheap that there is no need to clean it. Simply toss it, and add some new sand to the new tank. Problem solved :). I also wouldn't clean the filter two weeks prior unless you've gone a really long time without cleaning it and it is affecting the flow.

fishtanktenderfoot
06-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Since you already have yours, and I haven't received mine yet, perhaps you can tell me about the difference in the starfire glass, as opossed to standard glass...... Kris

This is my first and only fish tank, so I don't have anything to compare it to, except the back of the aquarium...? :p Although the difference is subtle, I do think it contributes (along with the LED lighting) to the vibrancy of the fishes. You won't be disappointed, and it might be more appropriate for you to tell me how you think it compares when you get it. How exciting, though, nothing funner than a new tank! Enjoy!

DiscusRob
06-16-2015, 11:29 AM
LOL, i also ordered the 48x18x25, with the star fire glass on the front, however, I didn't have the luxury of picking it up, and the shipping cost as much as the tank. (This new tank will replace the 67gl. narrow tank that I currently have!) Since you already have yours, and I haven't received mine yet, perhaps you can tell me about the difference in the starfire glass, as opossed to standard glass...... Kris

Kris, the difference between regular glass and starfire glass is the starfire doesn't have the high iron content of regular glass, this makes the starfire glass way more clearer for lack of a better word, you will see the difference when you get your new tank.

skanderson
07-21-2017, 12:02 AM
I have a 300 and 700 from glass cages and have been happy with them. funny seeing all the positive posts on this site. they always get reamed by the folks on reef central, some of whom may have actually seen a glass cages tank.