PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to discus

Anthonyjm
06-19-2015, 11:16 PM
I order 4 2.5" discus from Hans and I'm wondering and doing some research that when shipping the bags gain ammonia and when opening the bag it makes it toxic so I have read that Instead of dripping them just put them in the aquarium with the bag to get use to the water temp and then drop and plop them.
Ok a lot of opinions are helpful right about now thanks all !! 👍👍

warblad79
06-20-2015, 01:12 AM
In my experienced I don't put the water in the tank because they are dirty. I just plop the fish after acclimated so far none of my fish died in this process.

miguelnight
06-20-2015, 01:33 AM
Everyone acclimates their fish a little different. I normally empty half the water in the shipping bag. I put a cup of my aquarium water in the bag while it's floating in my aquarium for 8 minutes--put another cup in 8 minutes later--and another cup in 8 minutes later (24 minutes total). I net the fish out, then plop it in my tank. I ensure my aquarium lights are turned off to further reduce fish stress. I've never had a problem with this process. This is my method--everyone does it a little different. Good luck!

LizStreithorst
06-20-2015, 08:03 AM
I order 4 2.5" discus from Hans and I'm wondering and doing some research that when shipping the bags gain ammonia and when opening the bag it makes it toxic so I have read that Instead of dripping them just put them in the aquarium with the bag to get use to the water temp and then drop and plop them.
Ok a lot of opinions are helpful right about now thanks all !! ����

That's how I do it and also how Hansie does it.

DiscusRob
06-20-2015, 11:07 AM
That's how I do it and also how Hansie does it.

+1

rickztahone
06-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Adjust temp by floating, cut the top of the bag and stick your hand in there and grab the discus. No bag water in the tank

Patrick84
06-20-2015, 07:48 PM
aquarium light off to reduce stress, but I have read somewhere in forum saying actually put on the light will help frightened fish because less shadow
so which is right?

Anthonyjm
06-20-2015, 08:17 PM
So really no drip method is the way to go I guess is it normall to be nervous doing It that way when I drip all my fish when I get them from lfs this is my first time having fish shipped to me

LizStreithorst
06-20-2015, 08:44 PM
If it weren't the best way Hansie would to it differently and so would Kenny. One large change to good clean water is what the fish need most. One switch in water parameters does no harm. What does harm is daily WC with water of different parameters. At least that's my experience.