PDA

View Full Version : Bruise or something else ?

xmas_dude
06-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Hi,

Have couple discus that are perfectly healthy but have redness (looks more like internal bruise) near nostrils area. These discus are eating fine and behaving fine (aka pecking at others in tank etc. At this time I dont know if this is some bruise caused by hitting the glass or something else. I am not medicating at this time and letting it cure itself. Anything I need to look for before taking medication route?

Tank: 110G xHigh
Temp: 86F
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 10ppm
WC: Aged tap water 30% on alternate days.
Tankmates: 6 Discus 4-5.5"

Sunil

Patrick84
06-20-2015, 07:26 PM
those 2 above , i dun think it's bruises....but I am sure those are peppering for 2 below....

xmas_dude
06-20-2015, 07:37 PM
those 2 above , i dun think it's bruises....but I am sure those are peppering for 2 below....
Peppering is day1 thing on the melon and been like that for almost a yr now. Not worried of that. I am worried of the internal bruise like appearance near mouth/nostrils. It almost looks like some bleed internally. As indicated earlier, the fish are behaving perfectly fine (infact bullys in the tank) and eating good.

Anthonyjm
06-20-2015, 08:27 PM
I am new but have done a lot of research and have been on this forum for maybe a week and learned more here reading and post then I did in a year of researching and most cases that I have seen is that if they are eating and looking fine in the tank don't mess with it unless it gets worse but it looks as if it's part of the color of the fish in my opinion

drondy
06-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Mine have the same thing from time to time. I think it has something to do with their sparing with each other.

Keith Perkins
06-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Mine have the same thing from time to time. I think it has something to do with their sparing with each other.

i would say this is right on the mark, minor wounds from scrapping with each other. it's unlikely you'll have to treat them with any type of medication, you certainly don't need to at this point. Keep your water good and clean, like you should anyway, to prevent secondary infections in case they get any small open wounds and just observe them normally. They'll likely work it out.

xmas_dude
06-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Thanks folks. I'll keep up with WC and circle back if this gets any worse or doesn't take care of itself in few days....

alron2
06-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Are they preparing to spawn such as lip locking or cleaning cone or slate?

Ron

xmas_dude
06-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Are they preparing to spawn such as lip locking or cleaning cone or slate?

Ron

There is prespawning activity in tank from a newly formed pair.however these 2 discus are not part of that pair.
These 2 discus are certainly the more aggressive peckers. Haven't see liplocking, but seen these 2 discus chase
Other discus who dash away from them. Looking at pecking going on, it is very possible that these guys might have
Either hit glass while dashing away from one another or other bullies in tank.

Sunil

Keith Perkins
06-23-2015, 12:17 AM
My thoughts were that they were fighting with each other.

Northwoods Discus
06-23-2015, 10:40 AM
I don't think it is from fighting, the damage would be more on the outside of the lips and face not internal. I had the same thing on some fish several years ago. I feel it is some type of infection but I don't have proof. They came from the supplier that way, I slowly lost those fish. They were from a previous sponsor on the forum.
It would be impossible to get a sample without a necropsy.

rickztahone
06-23-2015, 02:26 PM
I don't believe this is something to be overly worried about atm. They seem healthy other than the peppering on the pb, I don't see anything wrong. Keep up the water changes and keep feeding them good food.

xmas_dude
06-24-2015, 11:04 PM
The same 2 discus today during WC. The bruise barely visible on the melon. Still visible on the neon sapphire though slightly lighter....

rickztahone
06-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Specifically, what are you feeding your discus? The blue diamond seems like it is eating something aimed towards a red discus.

xmas_dude
06-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Specifically, what are you feeding your discus? The blue diamond seems like it is eating something aimed towards a red discus.

FDBW, Tetra Color Granules, Sera Blue, Beefheart Flakes.

strawberryblonde
06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
The Tetra Color granules will give your blue discus an orange glow. If you don't mind it, then keep feeding it, but it might also explain why his nose looks quite pink.

I had some leftover FDBW's with red bio pigment in them when I got my new discus, and fed them in order to use them up. Thank goodness they are gone - now I just have to wait a month for the orange glow to leave my blue's. LOL

It can also have unexpectedly ugly effects on pale discus. I have a golden sunshine who is normally super pale with a pink tinge and electric blue fins. Poor guy looks like he fell into a vat of that 1980's self tanning lotion that used to turn me orange. =)

rickztahone
06-25-2015, 09:19 PM
The Tetra Color granules will give your blue discus an orange glow. If you don't mind it, then keep feeding it, but it might also explain why his nose looks quite pink.

I had some leftover FDBW's with red bio pigment in them when I got my new discus, and fed them in order to use them up. Thank goodness they are gone - now I just have to wait a month for the orange glow to leave my blue's. LOL

It can also have unexpectedly ugly effects on pale discus. I have a golden sunshine who is normally super pale with a pink tinge and electric blue fins. Poor guy looks like he fell into a vat of that 1980's self tanning lotion that used to turn me orange. =)

As Toni suggests, your food may be your problem here. Switch to food with no red pigment and you should see your BD go back to normal.

xmas_dude
06-27-2015, 12:37 AM
Thanks for your comments folks.... BTW realized that the FDBW i feed have Bio pigment plus. Not sure if this can cause the pinkish hue on the BD as well. Anyways, I am not so worried about the pinkish hue on the BD. Infact I like the slight yellow/orange fins on that.

What I was worried about (and cause of this post) was the dark bruise like internal bleed I was seeing on the melon and neon sapphire. It has certainly cleared on the melon and gotten much lighter on the neon sapphire mouth. Just plain old WCs and no meds.... Will continue to watch next few days....

Sunil

rickztahone
06-27-2015, 02:50 AM
Bio pigment will do it

ExtremeDiscus
07-01-2015, 10:55 AM
WOW! I better be careful with feeding my discus with the Tetra Color then. Don't want them to looks bad with the wrong pigment.