PDA

View Full Version : Discus grow-out experiment

mojosodope
06-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Good night to everyone and happy Father's day!

So I'm trying my hand at growing out a bunch of smaller discus that I usually buy. These were purchased and imported on June 12th, 2015 from a certain seller in Florida, (I'm in Trinidad). A group of assorted 15 discus that I will be growing out. I have additional tanks to separate them in the future as they grow larger and they are currently in a 50 gallon 36x18x18 tank, temperature is kept at a steady 86 degrees.
Daily water changes of 80%.

Here are a couple pictures:

Day 1

Day 5

Day 10 (including today June 21st, 2015)

Here's a video taken tonight after a water change

https://youtu.be/TC4uFQkDJXM

Please let me know what you think etc.

rickztahone
06-22-2015, 01:06 PM
What is the experiment? Are you growing out two separate groups?

discuspaul
06-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Hello my Trinidadian friend Mojo.
Your fish look quite healthy but you won't see very much growth between days 1 and 10.
Post some pics after month 1, month 2, and month 3... to show us how they're developing.
Did the seller tell you how old they were when you got them ?
Best of luck to you in growing them out.

DISCUS STU
06-22-2015, 02:48 PM

Hello and good luck! As an experiment it would have to have a control group (group a) and then another group (group b) grown with different methods so that they could be compared against each other to determine which is more effective.

In any event I wish you well with your new fish and keep up the good work! (and water changes)

dragon1974
06-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Hey Man,

Split the group into 2 and one group do daily 80% WC and the other group do 50 % every 3 or 4 days. Make sure and feed differently also, you'll see a better test result. Also, you can try 1 tank planted and the other BB.

Check back in a month and let us know the results. GL

PS, if you check my one of my posts you'll see my 2 groups and they growth difference.

DiscusOnly
06-22-2015, 03:54 PM

Rick,

I am guessing "growing out" is the experiment. Other than that, I don't see any other possible experiments.

mojosodope
06-23-2015, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone and the well wishes..

Basically the experiment initially was I would receive two separate groups of fish, the same size. 15 pieces each. Due to some unforeseen hiccups I only received one on the 12th and I was supposed to receive the other the following week.

Now my importer tells me I won't be able to get them till next month so my plans on growing them out side by side is out of commission for now.

Unfortunately I don't know how old these are but they don't seem to be stunted as far as I can see.

The experiment was meant to test the effectiveness of frozen foods as the sole terms of nutrition for a given length of time comprising of hikari blood worms mysis shrimp krill and ocean plankton mixtures.

The other group would have been fed various flake foods I have received from AngelsPlus alongside with new life spectrum and tony tan discus pellets. They would have been feed frozen foods also but at a lesser degree than the second group.

I wanted to run the experiment for two months and see which group grew faster and developed better.

Hope this could clear up some of the confusion on my ' experiment ' title. While it may not be in full effect right now it did get you to open the thread and at least catch your eye 😏

rickztahone
06-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Hey Man,

Split the group into 2 and one group do daily 80% WC and the other group do 50 % every 3 or 4 days. Make sure and feed differently also, you'll see a better test result. Also, you can try 1 tank planted and the other BB.

Check back in a month and let us know the results. GL

PS, if you check my one of my posts you'll see my 2 groups and they growth difference.

I believe this to be a poor experiment because there are other variables you are introducing. If your experiment (for example) was to test the differences in water changes as it relates to those that get more and those that get less, you do not want to vary the diet as well. You want to maintain all variables the same except for the thing that you are specifically testing for.

Thanks for all the replies everyone and the well wishes..

Basically the experiment initially was I would receive two separate groups of fish, the same size. 15 pieces each. Due to some unforeseen hiccups I only received one on the 12th and I was supposed to receive the other the following week.

Now my importer tells me I won't be able to get them till next month so my plans on growing them out side by side is out of commission for now.

Unfortunately I don't know how old these are but they don't seem to be stunted as far as I can see.

The experiment was meant to test the effectiveness of frozen foods as the sole terms of nutrition for a given length of time comprising of hikari blood worms mysis shrimp krill and ocean plankton mixtures.

The other group would have been fed various flake foods I have received from AngelsPlus alongside with new life spectrum and tony tan discus pellets. They would have been feed frozen foods also but at a lesser degree than the second group.

I wanted to run the experiment for two months and see which group grew faster and developed better.

Hope this could clear up some of the confusion on my ' experiment ' title. While it may not be in full effect right now it did get you to open the thread and at least catch your eye ��

Too bad that the other group didn't come in. good luck with your experiment.

dragon1974
06-24-2015, 08:11 AM
I believe this to be a poor experiment because there are other variables you are introducing. If your experiment (for example) was to test the differences in water changes as it relates to those that get more and those that get less, you do not want to vary the diet as well. You want to maintain all variables the same except for the thing that you are specifically testing for.

Too bad that the other group didn't come in. good luck with your experiment.

True, true.

Quintin
06-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Hmm.frozen food Beefheart.lol

mojosodope
07-25-2015, 09:48 PM
44 Days update
Lost one checkerboard, down to 14.

Moved them from the 3ft 50 gal to a 4ft 65 gal.

rickztahone
07-25-2015, 10:00 PM
There are quite a few behind the curve already here. I would have considered moving them to a larger tank.

mojosodope
07-25-2015, 10:54 PM
There are quite a few behind the curve already here. I would have considered moving them to a larger tank.

I couldn't do water changes for a week and a half due to a water source problem so that may have some attribution.

Do you mean I should move them to a larger than 65 gallon tank? I moved them to this from the 50 two days ago.

The smallest one you see there only eats bloodworms for some reason.

rickztahone
07-26-2015, 01:22 PM
I couldn't do water changes for a week and a half due to a water source problem so that may have some attribution.

Do you mean I should move them to a larger than 65 gallon tank? I moved them to this from the 50 two days ago.

The smallest one you see there only eats bloodworms for some reason.

14 in a 65 is pushing it without daily water changes.