PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia????

krislewis3
06-27-2015, 07:52 AM
87966Since my ph is the same in my tap water, as it is in my aged water, I have begun using my tap water for my daily WC. The photo is of the level of ammonia right out of my tap. Once the tap water is in the tank for a couple of hours, it tests 0 for ammonia, I assume from the bb in my filter. My question is.....should I be doing daily WC, when the water I'm using has more ammonia in it than the the tank water I'm changing??? The prime DOSENT seem to help much! I'm totally confused! Kris

100fuegos
06-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Ammonia in tap water equals chloramines. So double your prime dose, it should take care of it. Chloramines will kill your bio filter, it is designed to disinfect the water after all.

nc0gnet0
06-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Since my ph is the same in my tap water, as it is in my aged water, I have begun using my tap water for my daily WC. The photo is of the level of ammonia right out of my tap. Once the tap water is in the tank for a couple of hours, it tests 0 for ammonia, I assume from the bb in my filter. My question is.....should I be doing daily WC, when the water I'm using has more ammonia in it than the the tank water I'm changing??? The prime DOSENT seem to help much! I'm totally confused! Kris

Prime doesn't remove ammonia, it detoxifies it. Consider your test results to be a false positive of sorts. Keep changing your water, just don't forget to use the prime. 100fuegos is correct, ammonia levels in tap water are usually a result of chloramines.

krislewis3
06-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Ok....I just did a WC, doubled my dose of prime, waited 15 minuites, and I'm still getting a high ammonia.87984. Please advise...

Disgirl
06-28-2015, 11:02 AM
The prime will give you false positive readings of ammonia. Just keep doing your wc's and stop testing. It will be OK.
Barb

krislewis3
06-28-2015, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=Disgirl;1162523]The prime will give you false positive readings of ammonia. Just keep doing your wc's and stop testing. It will be OK.
Barb[/QUOTE

Are you sure the reading isn't from chloramine in my tap water? The reading from the tap, is the same as from the tank, after prime was added! I appreciate your help and advise! Kris

nc0gnet0
06-28-2015, 11:22 AM
There was no need to double the dose of prime, your tap is fine as long as you add prime first. You can add the whole dam bottle of prime and you will still get that reading. Once again, prime DOES NOT remove ammonia, it renders it harmless. It is still there and will still be detected until the bio filters consume it.

100fuegos
06-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Something like this NH2Cl + Prime = NH4 + NaCl. It is by no means exact but it gives you an idea. Test kit is detecting NH4 (ammonium) non toxic to fish but still food for your bio filter. When you test your tap water your test kit is detecting the chloramines NH2Cl

rickztahone
06-28-2015, 10:00 PM
There is one test kit out there that gives you the accurate reading by not being fooled by the falst positive. I forget which it is but you will be safe, so long as you keep using the safe or prime.

krislewis3
06-29-2015, 04:28 AM
Ok guys..I'm finally getting it!! .Thank you for your patience in explaining it to me!! Now I can stop worrying, and go back to enjoying my fish!! Kris