PDA

View Full Version : Quikcrete play sand

Mgus
06-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I didn't see any pool filter sand at my local lowes. Is the quik Crete play sand ok to use it looks like it is just regular sand.

blueluv
06-28-2015, 12:52 PM
I didn't see any pool filter sand at my local lowes. Is the quik Crete play sand ok to use it looks like it is just regular sand.
Try a swimming pool supply store

Altum Nut
06-28-2015, 12:59 PM
For what it's worth you will be rinsing that stuff all day:thumbsdown:...I would consider as mentioned above pool filter sand.

...Ralph

Ryan
06-28-2015, 02:21 PM
IMO the play sand is way too fine.

Do you have a Home Depot nearby? I get my pool filter sand from there. It's larger-grained so it doesn't get stirred up into the water column as easily, and it's usually much cleaner out of the bag than the all purpose sands that Quikrete sells. You can usually find it out in the garden center near the pool chlorine.

Mgus
06-28-2015, 03:20 PM
I found pool store got 100 pounds for $16 can't beat a deal like that

rickztahone
06-28-2015, 09:58 PM
If you go to Lowes you have to order it from customer service. They do not carry it off hand. I see you got some however, so I'm happy for you :)

Jack L
06-28-2015, 10:50 PM
easiest way to rinse the sand i found was to put it one of these 20 gallon (or so) plastic storage containers and just keep rinsing and dumping.

have a look at all purpose sand. its a sand/gravel mix and has a different look then the single grain size PFS. it also says out of water column, unlike some of the finer sands

Mgus
06-29-2015, 03:55 AM
Just waiting on a piece of manzinita wood and I'll be ready to re-scape the tank. I have the idea in my head hopefully it comes out the way I'm planning.