PDA

View Full Version : How to "foster parents"

Argentum
06-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone,
These are very bad parents they keep on eating their eggs or fry. I have another pearl diamond pair that are excellent parents. Very protective and caring. They are now with their 4 weeks old fry and ready to separate.

Do you think if i put them with the eggs instead of the red turks they will foster the fry? Or should i place them after the eggs hatch or maybe move the fry to their tank? Opinions please?

Note: i saved one of their 5 days old fry that survived and placed him with the pearl diamonds and their one month old fry, they did not eat him and didn't mind him nipping but he didn't attach

nc0gnet0
06-28-2015, 01:25 PM
The best most fail proof way would be to remove the albino's from there fry, and hopefully they will begin laying again. If you can get a batch of eggs from each of the two pairs, you then do a cone swap, placing the eggs of the problem parents with the Good parents, and vice versa. Otherwise, you remove the eggs from the problem parents and place them with the good parents and screen them, many times they foster parents will bond with the fry when they hatch, but its not always. Either way will work, but the first, for me, has a better chance of success. You will want to remove the foster parents from their fry in either scenario, preferable at least a week or so prior.

-Rick

Argentum
06-28-2015, 01:38 PM
The best most fail proof way would be to remove the albino's from there fry, and hopefully they will begin laying again. If you can get a batch of eggs from each of the two pairs, you then do a cone swap, placing the eggs of the problem parents with the Good parents, and vice versa. Otherwise, you remove the eggs from the problem parents and place them with the good parents and screen them, many times they foster parents will bond with the fry when they hatch, but its not always. Either way will work, but the first, for me, has a better chance of success. You will want to remove the foster parents from their fry in either scenario, preferable at least a week or so prior.

-Rick

Thanks for your insight rick.

John_Nicholson
06-28-2015, 02:03 PM
I have always just covered the eggs and put them with the "good" pair. They have always raised them without issue.

-john

Argentum
06-28-2015, 02:12 PM
I have always just covered the eggs and put them with the "good" pair. They have always raised them without issue.

-john

I would have done that john, but since they laid eggs out of a sudden after eating their previous small spawn they did it on the glass. And they laid a good number of eggs.

So in this case my options are either to put the good pair with the eggs or wait for the eggs to hatch and put the fry with the pair