PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood

navarro1950
07-04-2015, 06:44 PM
I have some driftwood and would like to put a piece or two in my QT. I would like to know f this is alright ?:confused:

Rudustin
07-05-2015, 08:01 PM
I think it's okay but what is the reason for putting it a QT. It will obstruct viewing new arrivals or the progress of a sick fish I think. Cleaning becomes a bit more complicated as well. If it pleases you then go ahead but I can't figure out why you would want to. Rufus

rickztahone
07-06-2015, 11:38 AM
I think it's okay but what is the reason for putting it a QT. It will obstruct viewing new arrivals or the progress of a sick fish I think. Cleaning becomes a bit more complicated as well. If it pleases you then go ahead but I can't figure out why you would want to. Rufus

+1. QT should simply be a sterile environment where no variables come in to play. Introduce DW, you introduce a variable.

navarro1950
07-07-2015, 03:16 AM
I understand that I will be adding a variable and I'm retired so the little extra work cleaning the tank is not a problem. I was just thinking the driftwood would help them settle down down and help them feel more comfortable with somewhere to retreat to. But if the DW will cause problems then I won't add it to the tank. As for the sterile environment are you referring to the DW not being clean or what. Please explain to me what you mean?

rickztahone
07-07-2015, 07:23 PM
I understand that I will be adding a variable and I'm retired so the little extra work cleaning the tank is not a problem. I was just thinking the driftwood would help them settle down down and help them feel more comfortable with somewhere to retreat to. But if the DW will cause problems then I won't add it to the tank. As for the sterile environment are you referring to the DW not being clean or what. Please explain to me what you mean?

the best way to make QT discus feel more comfortable is easy, paint the bottom of the tank a solid color, not black, and don't add any lights to the tank. Done.

israelillo81
07-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Yes Mr. Navarro. A drift wood could be another variable. Unless you have completely sterilized the wood by inserting it in an oven to kill any patogen.

navarro1950
07-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Hi Israel I've used muratic acid to clean the wood and after that pressure wash it to remove any bark or old looking discoloration and after rewash again with the acid to make sure I cleaned well. After I've cleaned it I soak it in a 32 gal trash can with the top on to keep the wood water logged. I change the water every couple days to make sure there is no algae. I'm more then sure there are no pathogens left after the acid solution is sprayed on the driftwood twice. I do the same thing with driftwood that I've purchased from a pet shop.