PDA

View Full Version : Mix in Discus Sizes?

AquaAlex
07-06-2015, 02:10 PM
I was told I can get more discus for my birthday!
My first 5 are 3-4'' each and doing great.
They are eating beefheart, bloodworms, Cobalt flakes, and to my surprise Hikari Discus food pellets.
I am looking at getting a few large discus. 5-7'' discus. I love the checkerboard pigeons at that size. Is it safe to mix them with 3-4'' discus? I'm looking at getting 2 5-7'' discus and 3 more 4''ers to mxi with my 3-4'' discus. I am going to rehome my angelfish and just keep my discus, tetras, and plecos.

rickztahone
07-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Can you mix them? Yes, you can. However, it is always good practice to QT ALL incoming fish for a few weeks, even if they are coming in from the same source. Do you have an extra tank with all different equipment than DT to accomodate for this? In actual fact, it would have been much easier to just get all of them at once, but I know it is too late for that now.

AquaAlex
07-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Can you mix them? Yes, you can. However, it is always good practice to QT ALL incoming fish for a few weeks, even if they are coming in from the same source. Do you have an extra tank with all different equipment than DT to accomodate for this? In actual fact, it would have been much easier to just get all of them at once, but I know it is too late for that now.

The only other tank i have is a 20 gallon tank. But I will go get a 55 gallon from Petco to QT.

rickztahone
07-06-2015, 03:37 PM
The only other tank i have is a 20 gallon tank. But I will go get a 55 gallon from Petco to QT.

great plan. Don't forget the separate hoses, new sponge filter, heater and other small things that can not be shared amongst the two tanks.

Quintin
07-06-2015, 04:47 PM
The size differance shouldnt be a problem as long as proper quarintine is followed.Good luck

Larry Bugg
07-06-2015, 04:59 PM
I would tend to disagree with the reply's you have gotten. I don't like the idea of mixing 3" discus with 6 to 7" discus. My experience has been that with that big a difference the smallest ones will not reach their potential. You might be fine but I wouldn't take the chance. If I were going to buy more, I would get them in the 4" range and grow them out at the same time as the originals. Much better chance at success I believe.

Quintin
07-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Sorry very true if put that way get the smallest ones posible close to your size.what i was getting at was a 1inch to 2inch differance seems fine in my tank as the smaller ones are more greedy and fiesty in my tank but this could be differant with you.im still generally new to discus so please heed larrys advice rather than mine

AquaAlex
07-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Ok. I thought it'd be a bad idea going for 6-7'' ers.
Would 5''er be bad idea too? If so I'll stick to 4'' discus.

DISCUS STU
07-09-2015, 02:53 PM
If there's a lot of room it's less of a problem then in a crowded tank. Generally I don't see problems with fully grown fish and small fish together in a fairly large tank as they don't really compete with each other. Like the old Friskies commercial, "they may get nudged away..." IMO the bigger ones generally don't pay much attention to the much smaller fish or recognize them as a threat.

If they're crowded together and close but not the same size then the smaller ones can get aggressively bullied at feeding time.

These aren't hard and fast rules but what I've observed from my experience.

bluelagoon
07-09-2015, 04:27 PM
I have raised a 3" discus with 6 adults with good results in a 76 gal. bowfront tank.He got to be the biggest in the tank.He was never a threat to the others and was left alone;as DISCUS STU mentioned.