PDA

View Full Version : Frozen food safe?

butterfly discus
07-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Hey guys

Have avoided using any frozen blood worm, brine shrimp, mysis and other frozen foods on the market until now.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about feeding it to your discus

Currently I'm feeding pellet in the morning, freeze dried black worm for morning tea, beef heart recipe for lunch, freeze dried blackworm for afternoon tea and beef heart again for dinner to all of my juvis everyday.

So my issue is beef heart is so messy and black worm goes everywhere and sticks to the glass so I'm wanting to change at least one feeding of black worm to something else but still want the best growth rate for my fish.
The reason I currently don't feed frozen brine shrimp, mysis and blood worm is because I've heard that it's recommended to worm them once a month if you do.. Now I do anyway but it kind of freaks me out they say this as that means they can get worms or possibly parasites through this doesn't it?
I have tried to research all of this but i can't seem to find anything on this exact subject

My main concern is that they eat enough plus that they don't get sick

Thanks for your responses in advance

Mgus
07-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Hikari frozen foods go through s sterilization process and are supposed to be disease and parisite free. You could also try using the freeze dried black worm cubes they stick right to the glass and make very little mess.

Quintin
07-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Frozen brine shrimp is good.Very high in amino acids not commonly found in other discus foods

Bill63SG
07-07-2015, 08:04 PM
The only thing with frozen brine shrimp and especially frozen blood worms is your getting a lot of water weight with what your buying.Freeze dried is the way to go.Give Al's freeze dried blackworms a shot also.

MadMatt
07-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Hey guys

Have avoided using any frozen blood worm, brine shrimp, mysis and other frozen foods on the market until now.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about feeding it to your discus

Currently I'm feeding pellet in the morning, freeze dried black worm for morning tea, beef heart recipe for lunch, freeze dried blackworm for afternoon tea and beef heart again for dinner to all of my juvis everyday.

So my issue is beef heart is so messy and black worm goes everywhere and sticks to the glass so I'm wanting to change at least one feeding of black worm to something else but still want the best growth rate for my fish.
The reason I currently don't feed frozen brine shrimp, mysis and blood worm is because I've heard that it's recommended to worm them once a month if you do.. Now I do anyway but it kind of freaks me out they say this as that means they can get worms or possibly parasites through this doesn't it?
I have tried to research all of this but i can't seem to find anything on this exact subject

My main concern is that they eat enough plus that they don't get sick

Thanks for your responses in advance
I feed ours premium flakes, black worm flakes, beef heart flakes and a home made food from mostly shrimp, smashed peas, liquid vitamins, Pleco green pucks, cod, banana, pep Rica all blended and smashed together, and flattened out in a freezer Ziploc bag put in the freezer frozen so hard I can snap pieces off and chop up.
I feed them the home made food at least once a day at night, and what flake food is closest to me when I feed in the mornings/afternoon. 2-3 feeding a a day even my juveniles and adults alike.
Loose the real beefheart and some people (like Discus Hans,) made a home made recipe out of extra lean ground beef.
I was suggested by a guy onSD to loose my beefheart homemade mix, and I wish I would have done it years ago.
Discus in there natural environment don't eat beef, unless a cow falls in the water...lol

Itsalltender
07-09-2015, 05:16 PM
I feed ours premium flakes, black worm flakes, beef heart flakes and a home made food from mostly shrimp, smashed peas, liquid vitamins, Pleco green pucks, cod, banana, pep Rica all blended and smashed together, and flattened out in a freezer Ziploc bag put in the freezer frozen so hard I can snap pieces off and chop up.
I feed them the home made food at least once a day at night, and what flake food is closest to me when I feed in the mornings/afternoon. 2-3 feeding a a day even my juveniles and adults alike.
Loose the real beefheart and some people (like Discus Hans,) made a home made recipe out of extra lean ground beef.
I was suggested by a guy onSD to loose my beefheart homemade mix, and I wish I would have done it years ago.
Discus in there natural environment don't eat beef, unless a cow falls in the water...lol

What difference do you see with the shrimp mix rather than beef heart?

warblad79
07-09-2015, 07:10 PM
If you don't like messy then you have to try high protein flake food instead. You will get same result but less hassle.

MadMatt
07-15-2015, 05:44 PM
What difference do you see with the shrimp mix rather than beef heart?
I posted a thread about needing some help about my breeding operations, specifically about water conditions, someone posted a comment about food and what they did, I like the recipe and my fish like it so much I make it all the time now. The point of feeding our discus beefheart or extra lean ground beef started not to make much sense to me, I don't think many discus in the wild eat beef anything...lol or baby brineshimp for that matter. I suppose a lot would disagree with me, but we are feeding our discus things that are not natural to there diet. So I started to feed them that shrimp mix food with flake food. I don't feed mine beefheart anymore, or bloodworms. Water seems to be cleaner and they seem to be very active and happy. I'm pretty focused on my breeding.

DISCUS STU
07-23-2015, 11:01 AM
The only thing with frozen brine shrimp and especially frozen blood worms is your getting a lot of water weight with what your buying.Freeze dried is the way to go.Give Al's freeze dried blackworms a shot also.

I think this is the main point for me. Relatively low protein to cost ratio when compared to fdbw. I still keep it, but feed the Hikari brand sparingly and usually for fish that are new to get them going or for fish that are in treatment and have stopped eating other foods. Without going to live worms, a whole other story, Discus normally and enthusiastically eat frozen blood worms before anything else, even when they're not eating anything else.

Otherwise I feed it more as a treat than a staple.