PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop this aggression?

AquaAlex
07-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Ok so last week I got 5 3-4'' discus. 4 red turquiose and 1 pigeon blood discus. For a good 4-5 days, the pigeon blood has been constanly chasing my red turquoise around and will only stop during feeding. I've removed him and redecorated the tank as I've learned from other cichlids and he still does the same. Should I rehome him or will this settle down? How can I stop it?
I'm afraid if it continues, it may get my turks ick or stunt them. When he eats, he gets a ton of food. The red turks eat but the pigeon blood gets the majority.

Phillydubs
07-09-2015, 09:24 PM
What size is the tank?? The only thing you can do is add more discus or let them sort it out. If you take him out another will assume his roll and there will be 4 fish which will be worse. 5 is the bare minimum. If you have the room up the numbers

AquaAlex
07-09-2015, 09:27 PM
What size is the tank?? The only thing you can do is add more discus or let them sort it out. If you take him out another will assume his roll and there will be 4 fish which will be worse. 5 is the bare minimum. If you have the room up the numbers

The tank is a 120 gallon aquarium. 4 foot by 25 1/2'' tall by 25 1/2'' wide.
I am going to be adding some more in August. That's when I get paid next. Should I add some more plants or something?

Phillydubs
07-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Unless you know of an agressive species of plant that will give chase and take on the personality and characteristics of a discus Lolol. No I don't think plants will do it. That's a large tank so space is not an issue or the cause of it. If they are new it is just what they do to establish territory it will dissipate.

Most of our suppliers take PayPal and you can use their program interest free for a few months until you get paid ;) Lolol. That being said if you are going to do it correctly now you would have to qt any new discus anyway so you are looking at a month or more of waiting anyway.

AquaAlex
07-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Unless you know of an agressive species of plant that will give chase and take on the personality and characteristics of a discus Lolol. No I don't think plants will do it. That's a large tank so space is not an issue or the cause of it. If they are new it is just what they do to establish territory it will dissipate.

Most of our suppliers take PayPal and you can use their program interest free for a few months until you get paid ;) Lolol. That being said if you are going to do it correctly now you would have to qt any new discus anyway so you are looking at a month or more of waiting anyway.

Thanks for your help. So I'll let them be.
So with paypal, I can techinically borrow and then paypal back? How does that work? you made me want to give it a try.

Phillydubs
07-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Yea you can check out what they are offering now. I know when I first saw it a few months back they were offering interest free for 6 months. I don't know what their terms are or anything like that. Just when you said you get cash in august I thought about it. It's your call what to do financially im no way saying so it or advising you to borrow money or sign up just a thought.