PDA

View Full Version : TDS of raw vs softener

Jason.M
07-13-2015, 01:18 PM
I have a bypass on my softener and recently picked up a TDS meter. My raw water is TDS of 150 and at the tap after softener it is TDS of 183. Also have RO which is at 19. I knew my raw water wasn't too bad but only did GH and KH test in the past.
I know my GH and KH from the softener are low with only a few drops used in testing. Can't remember the exact numbers.
I believe softeners have a higher than 1:1 ratio exchange which would explain why the softener has a bit higher TDS.
I'm thinking either using softener water, or raw water would be ok for discus though?? More inclined to go with the raw water though since it seems even lower than I thought.
The TDS in either case seems to be low. Less minerals in the softener water though in which case the TDS would rise a bit of I do add minerals.

rickztahone
07-13-2015, 01:26 PM
I have a bypass on my softener and recently picked up a TDS meter. My raw water is TDS of 150 and at the tap after softener it is TDS of 183. Also have RO which is at 19. I knew my raw water wasn't too bad but only did GH and KH test in the past.
I know my GH and KH from the softener are low with only a few drops used in testing. Can't remember the exact numbers.
I believe softeners have a higher than 1:1 ratio exchange which would explain why the softener has a bit higher TDS.
I'm thinking either using softener water, or raw water would be ok for discus though?? More inclined to go with the raw water though since it seems even lower than I thought.
The TDS in either case seems to be low. Less minerals in the softener water though in which case the TDS would rise a bit of I do add minerals.

Hmmm, interesting. I thought the point of a water softner was to get the water down in tds? I will admit, I do not know much of the chemistry that goes in to the softened water, even after sitting through a presentation of it, lol.

I have a thread currently going on WRT water softners if you would like to join the conversation:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120439-water-softener

alcastro
07-13-2015, 01:44 PM
I believe and I might be wrong if you have salt to soften water you will see a higher tds

LizStreithorst
07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm not a water expert, but I found this: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwsoftness.htm Scroll down to close to the bottom where it says "Not an option". Read the whole article if you are interested in water chemistry.

Rod
07-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Water softeners of the salt regeneration variety are really designed to stop calcium scale on pipes and fixtures in your home, and encourages foaming of soap for the washing machine. It does not help with fish breeding because the water is not softer at all, as your tds meter has shown you.
If you want to go the water softener route you will need a 2 part cation and anion resin bead type ion exchanger. A word of warning however, these beads are regenerated with very strong acids and bases, and for most people are probably not going to be practical. Produces brilliant water though, and no waste like RO if that is important to you.
Looking at your figures, i'd go with the raw tap water, and an ro unit when you want the water softer for breeding.

Rod

rickztahone
07-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Water softeners of the salt regeneration variety are really designed to stop calcium scale on pipes and fixtures in your home, and encourages foaming of soap for the washing machine. It does not help with fish breeding because the water is not softer at all, as your tds meter has shown you.
If you want to go the water softener route you will need a 2 part cation and anion resin bead type ion exchanger. A word of warning however, these beads are regenerated with very strong acids and bases, and for most people are probably not going to be practical. Produces brilliant water though, and no waste like RO if that is important to you.
Looking at your figures, i'd go with the raw tap water, and an ro unit when you want the water softer for breeding.

Rod

lol, it is funny you mention the soap foaming things, because that was one of the sales persons "ta-da" moment, lol. The soaps sud much faster. I really do not want to mess with strong acids either, so I am hoping the line I have for my tank will be able to bypass the softner. If not, then there goes the plan of getting some juvies in :(. Thanks for clearing that up, and Liz, thanks for that article. It is a good read.

nc0gnet0
07-13-2015, 10:03 PM
A lot of misunderstanding about water softeners and how they work. They do not impact Kh, only Gh. They remove calcium ions by replacing them with two sodium ions, thus the higher tds reading of "Soft" water. Discus are not salt water fish. They do not need a constant bath of sodium. If you have extremely hard water, and use a softener, the sodium content can be quite high. Of a bigger concern however are the anti scaling and rust inhibitors softener salts have in them which are toxic to fish. If you have to use softener water, make sure you only use solar salt and not "system saver" or rust inhibiting salts.