PDA

View Full Version : Does tds matter?

cloudz
07-21-2015, 05:21 AM
The tds coming out of my tap water is 450ish. My tank was 800-900(due to aquarium salt). This is probably why my eggs never hatch LOL. Anyway, am I putting harm to my discus by letting them live in such high tds? I stopped using salt after I realized it raised my tds. Is 450 still way too high? I bought an ro unit to lower my tds for breeding, but I just wanted to know for future reference. Thank you.

Altum Nut
07-21-2015, 09:17 AM
TDS only matters if breeding or keeping wilds. There is no threat to your Discus in TDS 450 and does benefit when growing out fry.

...Ralph

Discus Origins
07-21-2015, 03:29 PM
TDS when you add salt does not affect carbonate hardness which is what matters when breeding or keeping wilds. So you are almost getting an 'error' reading testing for general harness because the total TDS takes into account the Na and Cl ions. If you want to check true carbonate hardness use a KH test kit, you should find the reading will be different than GH.

nc0gnet0
07-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Do you prefer Steak or hamburger?

low TDs = Steak
high TDS = hamburger

you can live fine on either, but which would you prefer?

cloudz
07-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Okay Thanks guys! I'll get my ro unit setup. Steak > hamburger haha. Do you guys typically mix ro with tap water or full ro and use supplements?

Altum Nut
07-22-2015, 08:59 AM

low TDs = Steak
high TDS = hamburger

I grind steak meat to make hamburgers.....lol

Okay Thanks guys! I'll get my ro unit setup. Steak > hamburger haha. Do you guys typically mix ro with tap water or full ro and use supplements?

When your mixing r/o with tap there is no need to supplement. You can start 20% r/o to 80% tap and see what TDS reading you get. Add more ratio r/o until you reach where you want to be.

...Ralph

Woodduck
07-22-2015, 08:03 PM

low TDs = Steak
high TDS = hamburger

Thank you, I feel the same way about ph

cloudz
07-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Hi Ralph will my ph drastically change while im trying to find the right tds? Should I ease them in with daily water changes or something?

wcav
07-23-2015, 07:19 PM
You can try reading this ..I learned a lot from it .....http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/redox_potential.html#natural_redox

Woodduck
08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
My Florida rainwater after aging.

afriend
08-03-2015, 06:15 PM
The tds coming out of my tap water is 450ish. My tank was 800-900(due to aquarium salt). This is probably why my eggs never hatch LOL. Anyway, am I putting harm to my discus by letting them live in such high tds? I stopped using salt after I realized it raised my tds. Is 450 still way too high? I bought an ro unit to lower my tds for breeding, but I just wanted to know for future reference. Thank you.

Here's a formula for you when you get your RO unit.

M = R + X (T - R) / (X + Y)

M = TDS of the mix water
T = TDS of the tap water
R = TDS of the RO water (usually 0)
X = parts of tap water
Y = parts of RO water

For example
T = 450
R = 0
X = 4 parts tap water
Y = 1 part RO water

M = 0 + 4 ( 450 - 0 ) / ( 4 + 1 ) = 360